Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Checked Your Pigtail Lately?

Options
Long Beach Ed
Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,203
edited December 2022 in Strictly Steam
Pressure controls are usually mounted with a curled steam siphon "pigtail" loop to protect the control from steam.

Most of the ones we check are clogged, rendering the pressure control useless or inaccurate.

Blow through them and make sure they're clear, otherwise your boiler can build way too much pressure, wasting fuel and relying only on the pressure relief valve for overpressure safety.

Steel pigtails rust and clog easily; brass ones less so. If yours has been on the boiler for years take care not to break it off at the threads by exerting too much force to remove it. It may very well be rusted into place.

You'll have a job clearing it out with a wire, water and pressure. If it can't be cleaned it must be replaced.

Comments

• CaptPaul
    CaptPaul Member Posts: 14
    Options
    What a coincidence. I am sitting in my basement with my tablet waiting for boiler to cycle a second time after cleaning out my severely clogged pigtail. On the initial startup after the cleaning the unit cut out at 2.5 psi when it had been running up to 5 psi. The high pressure is what prompted the cleaning. Hissing in my radiators also seemed to be quite a bit less which I guess would be expected. Waiting for it to cycle again to double check but it sure seems like it worked.
    Long Beach Ed
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
    Options
    Such a shame we're forced to use a pigtail instead of an air gap which doesn't clog.

All well. The rules are the rules.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    ChrisJ said:
    Such a shame we're forced to use a pigtail instead of an air gap which doesn't clog. All well. The rules are the rules.
    It’s also a shame the pressuretrol is being utilized as a control because so many boilers are oversized.  Its primary function is a safety device, using it as a control is a cover up for improperly sized boilers.

Talk about waste.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Long Beach EdChrisJCLambWaher
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
    edited December 2022
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

ChrisJ said:

Such a shame we're forced to use a pigtail instead of an air gap which doesn't clog.

All well. The rules are the rules.

It’s also a shame the pressuretrol is being utilized as a control because so many boilers are oversized.  Its primary function is a safety device, using it as a control is a cover up for improperly sized boilers.

Talk about waste.

You mean people that think a steam boiler bouncing off the high limit like this is "normal" ?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    It's on my annual start-up checklist.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Kickstand55
    Kickstand55 Member Posts: 110
    Options
    Some need to be checked more than once a season depending on how much crud makes it way into the loop. I install brass unions with brass piping with the brass pigtail. Works sweet. Easy to service.
    Long Beach Ed