Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

B&G PR Valve - Other Makers options

0ldHous3
0ldHous3 Member Posts: 1
edited December 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
I am replacing my Bell&Gussett FB-38 PR Valve and (since I am so new at this) wondering if there are other manufacturers or models out there that are made better. I noticed that B&G changed their materials from brass to something "lead-free" that looks and feels lighter and cheaper. Also apparently new valves corrode faster.
There is TACO Cast Iron valve that seems comparable - Anyone familiar with this manufacturer or cast iron vs brass usage?
Thanks in Advance

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,983
    You want brass because it is feeding city water. Taco, Caleffi, B& G and Watts all make them
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,319
    edited December 2022
    It is the same part... All that LF means is that the brass parts that touch the water are lead free brass. This is because the state of California has found that lead is harmful to your health. And as California goes so goes the rest of the country. Looking for your electric car yet?

@EBEBRATT-Ed ... I think CASH ACME make them also. Just in case you are working for a Coyote.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,700
    Actually the clean water act 1974 started the lead pipe concerns, in 1986 the low lead in plumbing fixtures requirement was added, thanks to the ray gun administration, so I suppose that is the California connection🤔
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,205
    wasn't nixon from ca as well?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,700
    mattmia2 said:

wasn't nixon from ca as well?

Clean water act started during the Ford administration.

In 2010 California included lead free flux and solder 2% and the wetted surface formula for any plumbing brass component. All manufacturers chose to use that formula, so it got everyone on the same page as far as what "lead free" really meant.

There is no lead free brass. Else it would no longer be brass. The % of lead has been reduced, other alloys blended in to replace the missing brass. Low lead brass is the better terminology.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream