Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Guage (petrometer) - Is it accurate before or after you push the 'button' on top

Options
personalt
personalt Member Posts: 1
When I check the oil I get a lower value when I first inspect the gauge, there is a 'pump' type valve at top. When I give that a few pumps the value jumps up. Is the original resting value or the post pump value the correct reading?

Comments

• leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,152
    edited December 2022
    Options
    When you finish pumping the value shown is the oil level in gallons in the tank.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    Yes to what @leonz said. Haven't seen one of those in years
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,926
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Yes to waht @EBEBRATT-Ed and @leonz said. Looks like it is time to order an oil delivery

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,795
    Options
    The shop that made them was still in Lindenhurst NY a few years ago ..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    Big Ed_4 said:

The shop that made them was still in Lindenhurst NY a few years ago ..

You had to break the chain Ed...
    looks like the model 1329 PetroMeter. https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Petrometer - 1329-112 - Brochure.pdf

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    I have 2 customers that still have them in service. And yes the company still makes them.

• leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,152
    Options
    The old one this place came with had a square dial and a plunger located on the bottom.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,735
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Could be a stupid question and I think I've asked before but I can't remember.

Is there any reason no one ever uses a gauge glass like on a steam boiler on an oil tank? Wouldn't that be much simpler and always dead accurate vs all of the convoluted contraptions they sell?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,795
    Options
    The level gauge mentioned in this post is for buried tanks . Glass on above ground tank ? I would be afraid , pressure alone from a oil delivery , 42' gauge glass and glass . I recommend the Rocket type gauge for COD home owners .

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,735
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Big Ed_4 said:
    The level gauge mentioned in this post is for buried tanks . Glass on above ground tank ? I would be afraid , pressure alone from a oil delivery , 42' gauge glass and glass . I recommend the Rocket type gauge for COD home owners .

Gauge glasses are used on industrial boilers and steam engines and even standard ones are rated several hundred psi at high temperature, but sure..... Pressure from an oil delivery is scary.......

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    I don't believe that the high pressure steam boiler glass tubes at lengths over 36" with the associated fittings and tank tappings are practical when the Scully econo-gauge is so inexpensive.

Edward Young Retired