Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Feedback on my loops plan?

Options

Does this layout make sense? It's my first.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Is the tube being installed below a subfloor with plates, in the joist bays? If so you want two tubes per joist bay.

If it is above the floor with clear sailing.

I take the hottest water to all the outside walls first. Also this layout has the least amount of 180 bends, much quicker, easier to fasten down. That first loop would probably burn up a 300’ loop.
    If the load is high in that great room with a lot of glass I might do 6” on center for a 2’ band around the outside.

It hard to over tube a space.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Rich_49
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    I never thought of any waste going 6" spacing . And use floor sensors ..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited December 2022
    Options
    It appears from your drawing that the layout is underfloor in 16" joist centers. You want to minimize drilling holes in floor joist as much as possible. What's on top of the subfloor is important in terms of heat transfer. How many BTUs you need in the rooms to over come the heat loss and reach setpoint on the coldest of the winter months is a consideration. Supply Water Temperature to provide those BTUs is a consideration.

Start with a whole house BTU loss calculation for the coldest days in winter to get an idea what the level of BTUs you are going to need to be supplied by your boiler and your heat emitters. Then you can do your layout. Stick to the tubing lengths recommended for the pex size you are going to use. 1/2" tubing is easier to work with in joist bays.

Look at Caleffi's Idronics series online magazines for information on underfloor looping and installation tips for radiant floors.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    1 tube per bay is a bad idea . What type heat emission plates will you use , if any ? This looks an awful lot like a RadiantRec design idea .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833