Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New g115/5 install. Need to heat garage

Options
Num
Num Member Posts: 8
I just as a new boiler put in, 3 zones in a 2500sqft house.  Upstairs, downstairs, and an insect got water tank.   

My garage is heated by a central boiler 5036 on a radiant zone  of 5 loops.  The wood boiler was tied into my old boiler and would heat the house too. That’s plumbed into the new manifolds but i didn’t open the valve yet.   

I’m thinking of ditching the wood boiler for a modine in the garage.   Hooking my g115/5 to the radiant loop would likely use a ton of oil,  maybe the same for a hydronic modine.  

My question here is which way word be the best?  
Hydronic modine on a new zone in the g115?
propane modine ? 
Radiant on its own zone in the g115?

garage is 40x40 with 3 doors, insulated with an attic and 15’ ceilings.   Not small 

thanks

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,915
    Options
    I just as a new boiler put in, 3 zones in a 2500sqft house. Upstairs, downstairs, and an insect got water tank.

So I need you splane how insect got into you water heater? What kind of insect? Roach? Ant? Could then be spiders?

Please splane you water heater problem. I'm afraid of spiders, so I'm not come to you to fix bug problem

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

MikeAmannkcopp
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    How is the spaced used? Do you work out there or just park vehicles.

Radiant is the most comfortable system if you plan on spending time out there.

Seems like the radiant would be most efficient? What temperature are you trying to maintain? That is the key to how much it will cost to heat the space.

Any forced air type unit would be faster responding, compared to a slab if that is a concern
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Num
    Options
    I just as a new boiler put in, 3 zones in a 2500sqft house. Upstairs, downstairs, and an insect got water tank.
    So I need you splane how insect got into you water heater? What kind of insect? Roach? Ant? Could then be spiders? Please splane you water heater problem. I'm afraid of spiders, so I'm not come to you to fix bug problem
    Oops!   Indirect hot water.   Velocity 80gal tank.   
  • Num
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    How is the spaced used? Do you work out there or just park vehicles. Radiant is the most comfortable system if you plan on spending time out there. Seems like the radiant would be most efficient? What temperature are you trying to maintain? That is the key to how much it will cost to heat the space. Any forced air type unit would be faster responding, compared to a slab if that is a concern

The current radiant, when powered off the wood boiler takes a good 3 hours to get the space heated. 
    Definitely comfortable, im just not sure how economical on oil, there's a mixing valve on that loop, keeps the water at 120 going into the floor. 

I keep it about 60 degrees there now since i run a Cerakote shop out of that space.   It parks 2 cars and lawn equipment.   

The new Buderus is running ok, currently only cycling for about 4 minutes twice an hour and its 20deg out.  

The outfit that came to replace it did a like for like replacement with a 40 year old cast iron unit.  
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    Options
    Well at 47.6 BTU's per sq. ft. I'd use as much of the boiler as possible and connect the radiant. Maybe run a loop to the neighbors house too.

• Num
    Options
    Yeah, its not small, that’s for sure.  I’m certain it’s oversized, but that’s where my knowledge ends.  

The installer i used did great clean work, but yeah.  With the labor market being what it is, nobody does a heat loss up here. Im very rural so they oversize it and say good luck.