Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why no dual fuel oil/gas boilers?

CLamb
CLamb Member Posts: 309
Why are there no dual fuel oil/gas boilers? I've seen dual fuel boilers with solid fuel/gas and solid fuel/oil. I'm guessing it has something to due with incompatible fireboxes.

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,891
    edited December 2022
    Some larger commercial burners could be dual fuel . Residential you would need a oil fired boiler and two burners . One oil and the other gas . I run a Buderus boiler and have a gas and oil Riello burner .

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,228
    edited December 2022
    There was a residential gas/pil burner in the early 1960's. Maybe it was a SunRay? I've had my eye out for one for many years. Never saw one, but did have a brochure. Ever hear of that, Ed?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,987
    In commercial boilers there are millions of gas/oil burners. Check out Power Flame, Webster and Industrial Combustion and ST Johnson. There used to be plenty of others that are no longer in business like Iron Fireman & Gordon Piatt.

Gas oil burners usually are not used below 1,000,000 btu or so.

@Long Beach Ed I think SunRay did have an attempt at gas/oil but I am thinking it was the 70s around oil embargo time not the 60s
    Long Beach Ed
  • CLamb
    CLamb Member Posts: 309
    It seems that those commercial boilers don't need any changes to the firebox. They use the same burner for both gas and oil. Presumably is has separate components for gas and oil inside it. I'm guessing a home size one would cost about double the price of a single fuel burner. Perhaps the cost is the reason?
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,891
    I also never seen the duel fuel Sunray . I would like to see how they built it ..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,319
    edited December 2022
    I installed Two Buderus boilers for a bed and breakfast in Ocean City NJ back in 1990s and purchased two ABC burners that were dual fuel Gas and Oil of the under 2.50 GPH variety. Can't find that burner any more, but the customer loved the option of just flipping a switch from one fuel to another fuel at will.

If you find one in a scrap pile somewhere, here is the manual for it.https://oiltechtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/ABC_Sunray_Combination_Gas-Oil_Burner_Model_GC-385.pdf

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

WMno57CLamb
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited December 2022
    I've wired up many Power Flame and Webster oil/gas burners. 

What seems to happen is that the oil is always more expensive and never gets used in this area. 

Large building has 30,000 gallon underground oil tank and doesn't want to give it up when LP is cheaper. Then UG oil tank ages out and must be replaced then is removed and hole filled in. Burners use only gas from then on. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    question
  • BobZmuda
    BobZmuda Member Posts: 23
    I've operated many dual fuel boilers. Both NG/oil burners and NG/methane burners. A couple steam systems but mostly hot water.

There can be a year round discount for having dual fuel system and being able to switch during peak demand times. Even if not asked to I would switch to oil periodically to make sure it would still run good.

Burning methane is a whole nother topic by itself. I'll give you some hints. High moisture content, eats aluminum and 304 stainless for breakfast, terrible system pressure regulation. Turning solids_from_man_into_fuel ;-)