Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No heat. Help

Options
JK11
JK11 Member Posts: 1
edited December 2022 in Oil Heating
Oil furnace is 7 years old. The hot water does not circulate. Lw is 160, H is 190; installed a new thermostat to eliminate bad thermostat problem. The circulation impeller can move. The furnace does not take the heat call. It seems no power going to the circulation pump from hydrostat 3250plus. What else can I do? Thanks.

Comments

• Labenaqui
    Labenaqui Member Posts: 72
    Options
    First jumper the T-T Terminals (upper left on 3250 board) to see that in fact you don't still have a bad T-stat after replacement.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,926
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Everything is a thermostat problem. you set the thermostat to 70° and the heat does not get to the selected setting, the thermostat isn't working. Everybody known that!

When you replace the thermostat and get the same result, Then and only then do you consider purchasing more and other parts. Get the parts cannon ready to fire. Load it with an aquastat, fuel pump, primary control, electronic ignition, relief valve, burner coupling, air eliminator, burner motor and any other part you can think of. You can fire a load of buckshot that includes all the parts at once, or you can fire them one at a time. Eventually you might get lucky.

And the first thing @Labenaqui is to look in the oil tank to see if there is any fuel in there.

The other option might be to call a qualified oil burner technician to see if their experienced eye can find the problem within minutes.

I have visited such a customer more than once. After the DIY spent hundreds of dollars on parts that were not at fault, I would enter and see the problem within the first 5 minutes. After the price is quoted to replace the defective part or make the needed adjustment, the customer tells me that they can get the part for less than my price for the "repair". (repair = knowing what is wrong + parts + labor + overhead expenses + profit). Then I asked how much they spent of the unnecessary parts... Many times the cost of my "repair" is less than the cost of all those unnecessary parts.

Call a Pro

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

STEVEusaPAMikeAmann
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    JK11 said:

Oil furnace is 7 years old. The hot water does not circulate. Lw is 160, H is 190; installed a new thermostat to eliminate bad thermostat problem. The circulation impeller can move. The furnace does not take the heat call. It seems no power going to the circulation pump from hydrostat 3250plus. What else can I do? Thanks.

You can test that with a multi meter. That is what a professional would do. Seems like that would be a logical thing to do before buying a thermostat.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    JK11 said:

But that does not take into consideration the wires connected to the thermostat.

Edward Young Retired

• EdTheHeaterMan
    edited December 2022
    Options
    JK11 said:

Is the water in the boiler (not a furnace) actually hot? If so then disregard my comment about chenking the oil tank for fuel.

In the past 6 years, has anyone checked the fuel filter? Has anyone inspected the heat exchanger for annual build up of byproducts of combustion? Has the nozzle been changed and electrodes been adjusted? Has the pressure relief valve been operated annually as listed on the instructions of that valve?

I guess by now, you realize there are a lot of things to look at. By walking in to your boiler room, the experienced technician would be able to eliminate many thing and pin point other areas to look.

Tell us more about what is happening and perhaps, if it is not a dangerous part of the system, We can advise some simple DIY steps.

Is the boiler hot?

What is the temperature on the gauge?

What is the water pressure?

Is the fuel tank empty?

Edward Young Retired

• JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,357
    edited December 2022
    Options
    The poster has not replied since his/her first post, It is now 9pm, 5 hours after this person first asked for help on a Saturday afternoon. After getting blasted with in the first two replies I doubt they will. 

I thought this was HeatingHelp.com, not "Get Told You're an Idiot, Call a Pro.com"?
    CLambMikeAmann
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Sometimes the best 'help' is to call a pro. Doesn’t take much reading into the OP 's post that trying to explain how to troubleshoot their situation isn’t a good idea.
    I’m not real big on helping h/o' try to work on electrical components, especially safety devices, or on things that affect combustion.
    I 'lol'd' at Ed's post because he blasted me a few times for recommended calling in a pro. He usually provides lengthy help posts complete with diagrams, even he recommended the same.
    Most of my responses on here are basically the same as if someone (customer or friend) called me and asked the same question (it actually happened today).
    Another tech, that’s a different story, and most of them with a few friends I’ve made on here either end up in messages, or we've exchanged emails, or talked on the phone.
    But you’re able to contact the OP publicly or privately and offer all the assistance you wish.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

HVACNUT
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,795
    Options
    He was hoping for a quick fix for the problem before the tech he call arrived :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

MikeAmann