Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

AquaPEX vs hePEX vs helioPEX

Marvin007
Marvin007 Member Posts: 52
edited December 2022 in Radiant Heating
Originally I thought I might have an open system so I was told to use AquaPEX by a radiant installer. I have since leaned towards a closed loop. I did not realize if I use a closed loop I would require an oxygen barrier in the pipe which AquaPex does not have. For some reason I thought using a potable water pex covered all possibilities. I have installed only one Aquapex test loop but do not have it hooked to a boiler. I will need to replace this with either hePEX or helioPEX. Thank goodness I only bought 1x 300ft run of Aquapex. This was a mistake.

With that being said I may also have this closed loop system running 2x temperatures for radiant flooring and panel rads.

What are the main differences between hePEX vs helioPEX. Why would I use one over the other? It seems as though helioPEX is much cheaper in my area.

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,210
    It looks like heliopex is slightly cheaper.

https://www.uponor.com/en-ca/residential-solutions/heliopex

HEPex is approved for potable water, heliopex is not.

For future reference, HEPex the more versatile product since it can be used in open or closed systems and for potable water.

Does your application need 1/2" tubing or would 3/8" be sufficient?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,322
    Seems that HelioPEX is not good for potable water but HePex is ok to use for potable water.

Other than the fact that the PEX is saying HelIo... I would go for it :D

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,702
    There are dozens of brands of heat pex on the market, shop around. If you want A type pex, Upon or, Mr Pex, Rehau are some other brands.
    How does PERT tube price out against pex these days?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Marvin007
    edited December 2022
    AquaPEX is Type A
    HePEX is Type A.

What type is HelioPEX?

From my research using AquaPEX for a closed loop system will allow oxygen into the system which will cause the heat exchangers, pumps and valves to corrode much faster. Is this correct?

Using AquaPEX for an open loop system is not a bad idea because there is fresh water entering the system
    regularily. Is this correct?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,702
    For closed loop hydronic systems with steel and ferrous materials, you need a tube with an oxygen barrier. Various manufacturers call it by different names.

In some cases the tube may be heat pex, with O2 barrier, and also have a potable water listing.

Pex A, B or C refers to the method they use to crosslink PE tube which turns it into PEX, the X for crosslinking.

Pex A is the most flexible. B pex is crosslinked after it is coiled, so it tends to want to stay curled up, making it a bit harder to work with.

All pex tube works best when warm. Lay it in the sun for wan hour and it uncoils easily.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Marvin007
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,127
    @Marvin007

Heliopex is neither pex A, B, or C and is listed as pex type "Other" From installers point of view, as I only carry it in 1/2" they do not notice a difference in the flexibility. Maybe some do but nobody I sold it to has noticed, and I asked them to test it out for flexibility. I imagine you might notice a difference between the two in the 5/8" or 3/4" sizes.

One thing worth mentioning. Even though it is not listed as Pex-A , according to Uponor you are still approved to repair kinks in Heliopex like you would with Hepex.

here is a handy info page I reference for the differences in the two products

https://www.uponor.com/en-ca/residential-solutions/heliopex

Marvin007
  • Marvin007
    Even though it is not listed as Pex-A , according to Uponor you are still approved to repair kinks in Heliopex like you would with Hepex. here is a handy info page I reference for the differences in the two products https://www.uponor.com/en-ca/residential-solutions/heliopex
    Where can I find the information saying kinks in HelioPEX can be repaired similar to the memory function of HePEX (Type A)? I just want to confirm.

So does this mean if HelioPEX is kinked it can be heated up like Type A PEX  with a heat gun and it will go back to its original shape?
  • GGross
    @Marvin007

Follow the link I posted down near the end they compare different types of pex, they list the heliopex as being kink repairable.
    Marvin007
  • Marvin007
    Just to confirm HelioPEX is also called HelioPEX X2 correct? There is only 1 HelioPEX?

https://www.sheret.com/account/catalog/product/133002?page=0&query=HelioPEX+&searchCategory=0

helioPEX
    Uponor
    Model: H1250500
    SKU: 1801092
  • GGross
    @Marvin007

Yes, that's the stuff