Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Whoosh and Loud Bang When Heat Turns On

Options
Scout12345
Scout12345 Member Posts: 4
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a very noisy problem.
My forced hot water heating is powered by an NTI TRX condensing gas boiler (on demand hot water heater), which was installed 9 months ago, right before I purchase the home and moved in. Since I've started using the heat the past couple of months, I've been hearing a loud whooshing noise followed by a single loud bang that seems to come from the area of the heating system. Sometimes the bang/crash is very loud and seems to cause the house to shake. I haven't been able to be near the heater when the noise happens, so I can't pinpoint the exact location. The noise seems to happen right when the downstairs heat zone turns on. It's more likely to happen, and be louder, if the zone has been off for a few hours. I'm not able to replicate the noise consistently. The guy who installed the heater came to take a look and he heard a more quiet version of the whoosh and bang. He thinks it's the pipes banging and wants to start cutting into walls to find the pipe making the noise, but is that really the issue???
thank you for any ideas or suggestions you might have!

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited December 2022
    Options
    My guess it has a hard start .. First you need to make sure the adjustment are correct.. And analyzer and a monometer is needed ..The installer should have them ..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Check boiler burner adjustment as @Big Ed_4 mentioned

Does the system have zone valves? Could be the noise is from a valve opening or closing. Attach a pic of how the boiler is piped
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Scout12345
    Options
    Thank you, @Big Ed_4 and @hot_rod!
    Is the hard start related to delayed ignition? I want to make sure I'm explaining correctly to the installer.
    @hot_rod , do the attached pics help?
    thanks, again!

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Looks like the combustion analysis is taped on the boiler. You might try turning just the boiler off and cycling the thermostats. Try to determine if it is a flow issue or hard start ignition. The boiler pump is the only pump in the system?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 975
    Options
    Whoosh noise could be from the valve opening but the bang might be from expansion. You need to be in the boiler room when a call for heat is initiate. You need to see when the noise had in relation to when a call for heat is initiate
  • Scout12345
    Options
    Thank you, @hot_rod. Good eye, it is the combustion analysis! Attached below. Looks like the next recommended one was in June 2022, which was 2 months after the heater was installed - I'm overdue! I'm not aware of another pump in the system, but to be honest I don't really know anything about heating systems so that doesn't mean there isn't another one..
    @pedmec , thank you for your post as well! I will try to time it so I can be in the boiler room when the heat kicks on to pinpoint the source.
  • Scout12345
    Options