Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

R7284 Minimum temp safety

Options
Is there a way to reduce the minimum internal temp safety of an R7284 control to 50F. With no thermostat connected the control maintains 55F and that is what I'd like to reduce to 50F.

Thanks!

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited December 2022
    Options
    The R7284 is a primary control. There is no 'minimal internal temp safety'. Temperature is initially controlled by your thermostat.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,867
    Options
    The temperature is controlled by the thermostat or other controls connected to the T T terminals or the Limit wire connected to the control under the R7284 primary control.

Can we ask what you are trying to accomplish? Also what is your R7284 connected to at the T T terminals and where the Limit wire (under the control) comes from?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Rexy624
    Rexy624 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I want to control it down to 55F with a Nest thermostat which is connected to the TT terminals but the R7284 is controlling to 55F without anything on the TT so I must set the Nest up to 57F or higher. The Limit is connected to L1 so does this make it default to 55F and if so can I just disconnect the Limit?
  • Rexy624
    Rexy624 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2022
    Options

The R7284 is a primary control. There is no 'minimal internal temp safety'. Temperature is initially controlled by your thermostat.

Definitely not the case with Limit to L1, see my previous post and it won't run with the Limit disconnected.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Rexy624 said:

Definitely not the case with Limit to L1, see my previous post
    It definitely is the case. Your failure to understand the components and how they work (and how to properly check/troubleshoot them) is the problem.

The other problem may simply be the nest, even if it’s wired correctly.
    Why is the purple wire disconnected?

It’s hard to help you without proper communication, and a proper explaination what is going on. Your NEST shouldn’t connect directly to your primary control, it needs a common.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,867
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Where is the other end of the LIMIT wire on the R7184 control connected?

In my previous post there is a diagram that shows the LIMIT wire on the R8184 is connected to a L8148A or L8148C indicated by a red and black wire to the green box.

Your control may be a L8124 or a White Rodgers control. It could be an electronic control like the Hydrostat or the Honeywell L7224U.

If you can tell us what that control at the other end of the wire is, then we can offer more information

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?