Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat not turning on heat

Options
mc14
mc14 Member Posts: 1
I have a 4 zone taco relay and taco circulators.  Hot water works and zone 2 works.  Zone three doesn't turn on.  Doesn't appear to register on relay light.  The thermostat worked for ac all summer and I spent alot of money trying to fix this last year and I thought it was fixed.  It never worked this fall except for a short time.  I can't afford the cost right now before holidays.  Got pictures of the system.  Any trouble shooting help would be much appreciated.  Thanks

Comments

• bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 917
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Try, jumping the thermostat terminals for that zone at the relay box. If the zone indicator light and heat turn on, you either have a bad connection or broken wire in the thermostat circuit, or a bad thermostat.

If the zone indicator light doesn’t turn on, the problem is in the relay box.

If the zone indicator light turns on, but the heat does not, the problem is between the relay box and the circulator or zone valve.

If you have zone valves, check the end switch connections.

Bburd
    MikeAmann
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    Has this worked in the past and is now not working? What has changed prior to this problem? Do the four switches operate the pumps? Does zone three operate the garage?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    edited December 2022
    Options
    to determine if the problem is in the Taco Control, place a jumper on R and W terminals on #3 zone where indicated.

1. Turn the thermostat up to call for heat
    2. Touch the jumper wire to R and W on zone 3
    3. If the light for zone 3 lights and the relay clicks on, Then the problem is not the relay
    4. If the light does not come on then the relay is the defective part.
    5. The next step is based on the results of this test

PS. I picked green for the jumper because it is already there in the upper right corner. Just cut off about 3" and peal back the insulation to make a jumper wire.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    If it is the Zone 3 relay thats bad, can you move everything to Zone 1? The low volt terminals are not used but the line volt side is used. What's up with that, future?
    You say the air conditioning works fine. The air conditioning operates off the Zone 3 thermostat? If the heat for that zone is an air handler with a hydro coil, it could be an isolation relay at the air handler or incorrect wiring.