Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Commercial Turf over Radiant Heat

I live in Colorado and just finished building a 30 x 50 garage that I am having closed cell spray insulation on both the walls and roofline. The garage has two south facing 3x4 windows and a 12' sliding door. Have been looking to install radiant heat as a heat source when I pour the slab. I am installing commercial astroturf over the slab for a place for my kids to workout/practice sports during the winter. I haven't been able to find much information on how efficient radiant heating is under turf.

Would it be more beneficial to install radiant in the wall additionally or instead of in the slab?

I appreciate the help.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Probably similar R-value to nylon carpet. 1/4" carpet is about R-1. So that gets input to the radiant design and heatload calculation.

All slabs are high mass systems and do not respond quickly. If the room wants to be setback or turned off and on, a low mass like ceiling radiant, walls, panel rads, etc.

But only one chance to tube a slab. If ever in the future it were to be a garage or work shop...?

See what the insulation and tube cost is to have a radiant ready slab for future use, if you go with a different heat emitter.

Is AC an option? If so a mini split could handle a room like that and give you both heat and cooling.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    GGross