Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One pipe steam radiator air vent shoots water out

Options
Hello! I have a one pipe steam radiator and towards the end of a heat cycle I can hear gurgling in the radiator and water starts to bubble out of the air vent, and eventually shoots straight up spitting all over. It doesn't happen at every heat cycle though...I have an adjustable air vent, one that lets me open it from level 1 -8. I want to have it as high/open as I can so that the radiator gets the hottest it can be, so I should have it closer to 8 right? If i put it lower like 2 or 3 water still seeps out but doesn't shoot out of course, but then if it's lower I think the radiator doesn't get as hot, is that right?
Also, I do have the radiator tilted/pitched already about 1/8th of an inch lifted off the opposite side of the valve, but should I maybe tilt it more to stop the water from gushing out? I live on a 4th floor apartment building if that helps decide which number on my air vent to use.
Thank you SO MUCH in advance to anyone who can help me with this!

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    Options
    Can you give us a picture of the vent on the radiator, as well as the supply valve and pipe on the other side of the radiator?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    efree703
  • efree703
    efree703 Member Posts: 4
    Options

• efree703
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Can you give us a picture of the vent on the radiator, as well as the supply valve and pipe on the other side of the radiator?

Yes! I posted them. Thank you!!
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    Sounds like you have a pitch problem on a pipe below your unit. Start by checking the pitch of the pipe in the basement that feeds your radiator, you probably will find a sag.
  • efree703
    Options

Sounds like you have a pitch problem on a pipe below your unit. Start by checking the pitch of the pipe in the basement that feeds your radiator, you probably will find a sag.

Thank you! Do you think I should try tilting/pitching my radiator more than it already is? Or maybe turn down the air vent to a level 1 or 2? Do you know if turning down/tightening the air vent so the air releases slower makes the radiator get less hot? I want the radiator to be as hot as it can.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    Options
    If your on an upper floor there may be a horizontal pipe under the floor that is pitched wrong. If you can lever that whole radiator up about 1/2 or 3/4" it be enough to correct the slope. It's a simple and cheap thing to try.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    Options
    BobC said:

If your on an upper floor there may be a horizontal pipe under the floor that is pitched wrong. If you can lever that whole radiator up about 1/2 or 3/4" it be enough to correct the slope. It's a simple and cheap thing to try.

Bob

Funny thing is, raising the vent side of the radiator may have even made this issue worse as it could've lowered the pipe a hair.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    @ChrisJ is correct, I would rock the radiator from side to side and put shims under the feet, I use cedar discs for the closet, on the valve side of the radiator to raise it up a bit. This will bring the piping up a bit and hopefully solve your problem. Once you have the valve side up add shims to the vent side so it is pitched to drain to the valve side.
    efree703
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    Options
    That is why I asked him to lift the entire radiator up to make sure any horizontal pipe would be sloped correctly. I assumed he'd know to shim it up in place
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    efree703