Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What kind of gloves

Looking to find a good glove for working on steam. Mine is commercial (state college heating) running 80lbs on the main piping and 8 after the PRV on the low side. My leather gloves work good for heat,but get a blast of steam and oh man got to get those things off. I tend to not wear the gloves as much as i should and the hands are starting to show it. Most of the work is on the 8lb side. Working on traps and heating coils. I get the occasional puff of steam and of course the drop of water that makes a mark. Never work on anything live. Always isolated with a valve that never quite seals all the way. Any suggestions on a glove t that will protect better and you can still turn a wrench?
coming to you from warm and sunny ND

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Probably the kind firefighters wear may help.
    steve
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    Check with the local fire department for used ones.

Even our small dept would get upgrades pretty often and we had a pile of slightly used gloves.

The older ones would get stiff, but a little steam work will soften them up.
  • jacobsond
    jacobsond Member Posts: 90
    Funny you say that. I am a volunteer firefighter and just brought in an old pair to try out. Not sure what they will do with steam. Heat wise should be ok.
    coming to you from warm and sunny ND
    JUGHNE