Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is my water boiler's thermal expansion tank in the correct location?

Options
jjustinia11
jjustinia11 Member Posts: 101
edited November 2022 in Gas Heating
I recently redid my old boiler to get me through this last winter. this boiler is providing alt. heat to a hydrocoil on my heat pumps air handlers. I installed a spriovent on the supply side coming right out of the boiler (within 6 inches of first turn) and before the suction of the circs. I also installed manifolds with TACO 007e's and a taco relay. I piped a #60 thermal expansion tank coming out of the bottom of the spirovent. I have a lot going on and it is tight. I was trying to keep the tank away from the relay and electrical so I put it low. I then read that it was supposed to be up higher, but the instructions were not clear. I was hoping the community could look at these pics and tell me if this needs to be changed or if it is good to go. If I need to move it, please let me know generally where I should aim.

Thx!

Jason

Ps. I know the boiler is ancient and I had a small leak on one cheap fitting, and I needed to try and fix it until I can get new pipe and fitting after thanksgiving, everything is closed. eagle eyes will spot the epoxy putty and electrical tape. this will be changed when stores reopen on Friday.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,141
    Options
    It is fine where it is. Do you have adequate support for it?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • jjustinia11
    jjustinia11 Member Posts: 101
    Options
    I do and I am adding more. I have a vertical 3/8 rod with copper clamp and a horizontal, you can see in the pic. I also bought a hydroclaw to give it more support if I moved it, but will add it to this location if it stays.