Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Insulating Hydronic Floor under built in furnishings.

Options
nibs
nibs Member Posts: 511
Seem to remember reading here about this, but search did not turn up any results.
So am about to build a 10' by 2' closet on the bedroom floor, it will be on a fully enclosed box about 6" high, would there be any benefit in putting a layer of 1&1/2 or 2" foam insulation on the tile floor under the closet to save heating the closet?
Not a big deal just wondering, We have the insulation and saving the heat for the exposed floor would be simple, only drawback will be that once the foam is placed there will be no way to remove it.
Thanks to all, the information you gave us when building has left us with a toasty warm home, and more recently with a gas heated stock tank hot tub.

Be safe, and on the advice of my favorite wife (retired microbiologist) get the covid shots and wear a mask. Covid is one of the nastiest bugs on the planet.
The artist formerly known as Nibs.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Yes any R value you put over a radiant panel reduces the output.

On the opposite side I had to go remove the foam pads under throw rugs on one job to get the floor output up. I know the pad extends the life of the rug. But a warm comfortable room, or soft protected throw rug??
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Options
    Thanks Hot Rod, am thinking, why heat the closet, why not save the warmth for the rest of the room,
    In large part due to advice you, and others here gave, we have a boiler that comes on once per day and in 0deg F weather knocks along at a delta T of around 9 or 10 deg F, after a few hours running Am thinking that's about as good as it gets.