Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Optimizing my indirect-fired domestic hot water storage tank

Options
skiereric
skiereric Member Posts: 66
I have a primary secondary setup where DHW has priority. I have spent a lot of time researching, but have come up empty on what is an optimized setting for DHW.

I feel the boiler is responding to a call quite often for DHW, which interrupts the heating call.

Here are the facts.

4000 square foot home, broken into two apartments, with a total of six people.

The boiler is a Weil Mclain 97+ 155.
The capacity of the indirect-fired domestic hot water storage tank is 51.3 US Gallons

The variables I can adjust are
-Boiler Supply Temp - Currently set to 185F
-Circulator Speed (UPS 26-99 FC)- Currently set to High
-Mixing Valve - (Adjusted to provide 115F water)
-Emerson Type 11B76 - 4 Aquastat with a fixed 4F differential with a dial with a setting between cold, norm,hot - I am at "norm"

Any thoughts on adjustments that could be made to reduce the number of calls for DHW? or any other steps I can take to gather more data?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    A pic of the piping would help. Many installers prefer to take the indirect off the boiler as a parallel loop, instead of off the primary loop.

Then you get direct flow from boiler to tank for fastest recovery.

If the indirect is taking a long time to recover, the coil could be limed over reducing the heat transfer.

if that is a 155,000 boiler, it could
    recover a 50 gallon tank in 10- 15 minuted depending on loads and tank temperature
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    If you are getting a lot of calls for hot water that implies that you are using a fair amt of hot water.... any way to reduce the output? Lower flow shower heads? Dripping faucets?
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,159
    Options
    A thermostatic mixing valve is a good upgrade for any water heater.