Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Brass instead of Black pipe ok? Home Oil

Options
HandyFS
HandyFS Member Posts: 108
edited November 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
I need to adapt a new heating oil filter at the burner and I can't find black pipe nipples and couplings locally. Is it ok to use brass MIP style nipples and couplings with home oil? I've used brass plenty in air and oil (Not home oil) setups, but unsure if its ideal for home oil.

I can order them to arrive later in the week online, but I wanted to get this done sooner.

Or am I better off with black pipe or is brass ok?

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    The filer belongs at the tank or close as possible .

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 590
    Options
    I dont have iron on my lines, but I do have brass and the copper lines.
    The NFP says "Oil supply lines shall be steel pipe or brass or copper tubing".
    I've seen pics of iron lines though.. so I dunno.

I just had a boiler guy install a tigerloop at the boiler that has a spin-on filter built onto it. Seemed fine with having a filter indoors.
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    edited November 2022
    Options
    BRASS NIPPLES AND FITTINGS ARE ACCEPTABLE. DO NOT USE TEFLON TAPE

I believe that answers the question.

So many of us have wives and have to read into the questions to figure out what the woman really wants to know. So many will offer you answers that don't exactly answer your question but suggest the lame attempt to understand what a women really means. Sometimes a question is really an order to perform a task. (not saying you are a women).. @Big Ed_4 often gives non answers. That's why we love him so much here!

You can put your filter where it is easy to service.
    I believe both of these filter locations will work just fine at protecting the fuel pump and nozzle from tank bottom deposits. And look... they both have brass fittings attached!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    But the filter at the tank will protect the oil line.

Brass is fine to use on oil. just cost more than black
    EdTheHeaterManSTEVEusaPA
  • HandyFS
    HandyFS Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. The tank currently has a filter at the tank but the system sat dormant for a while and a quick check showed the burner oil pump strainer was filthy so I may set up a filter closer to the burner at least temporarily and then replace the oil line at a later time.

Big box stores seem to carry brass so I'm happy to hear its ok to use in a pinch. Thanks again everyone.