Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco circulator and Webstone isolation flange-valves?

Options
SteamFTW
SteamFTW Member Posts: 76
I need to replace a Taco 007-F5, and want to install isolation valves, preferably with as little fuss as possible. The inlet pipe is NPS 1.5" and the discharge pipe is NPS 1". AFAIK, Taco only sells their isolation flange-valves in pairs. Webstone makes a product (https://www.supplyhouse.com/Webstone-40406-1-1-2-IPS-Isolator-Flange) that comes individually. Can I assume that the flange on that will mate up with the circulator (with the Taco o-ring in between) and the bolt holes will match? Sure, I could do this with regular ball valves, nipples, reducer, etc., but I'd rather not if I can get an individual flange-valve for each side.
Fast. Cheap. Good.
Pick any two.

Comments

• MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    edited November 2022
    Options
    You should see that the ports on the circulator are both smaller than your 1" pipe.
    Therefore, order the pair of 1" flanges and a reducing bushing to convert from 1-1/2" to 1" on the inlet side.

Does your system use only one circulator?
    I have one circ for the heating system and one for the IWH.
    So I used the flanges at the inputs to each circ and a 1-1/2" ball valve at the boiler return. Like this:

• SteamFTW
    Options
    MikeAmann said:

You should see that the ports on the circulator are both smaller than your 1" pipe.

Thank you for pointing that out. There's a reason I'm SteamFTW and not HydronicsFTW. (eye-roll at myself). It's my friend's system, an old gravity conversion, and there's only one circulator. Just heat, no IWH. I'm going to bookmark this for them when they start getting bids for a new boiler. Thank you for the photo!

If you don't mind my curiosity: what's the vertical rod that looks like it comes off the left-side bolt of the shut-off flange on the right?

Fast. Cheap. Good.
    Pick any two.
  • MikeAmann
    Options
    Good eye.
    The rod runs up to the floor joist above where I have an L bracket. It's a hanger.
    It is a nice & easy way to take the weight off of the piping.
    SteamFTW
  • SteamFTW
    Options
    @MikeAmann That would have been my guess, but I can't see how it attaches at the circulator. Does it connect to the flange bolt somehow?
    Fast. Cheap. Good.
    Pick any two.
  • MikeAmann
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Exactly. I used a 3/8" rod coupling nut. Basically, it's a long nut.
    I just used a longer bolt for the extra threads.
    That rod is stainless steel. I had it laying around.
    You would use all thread or 3/8 threaded rod.
    Both are available at the big box store.