Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Skimming steam boiler

Options
givejon
givejon Member Posts: 3
There's a product to reduce skimming the boiler called surge master, made by rectorseal.   Within 30 min of putting it in almost elimininates surging in steam systems, even after new piping with the cutting oil on it.  Good to use on systems where you're trying to stop surging on pms. I'm not a salesman, just grey haired tech.

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,002
    Options
    So what happens to the oils? They are obviously still in the water. Just wondering how or why the surging stops? Does water with oil mixed in it take longer to heat up and turn to steam? Maybe it turns to steam quicker? Not making a statement, just want to know. Is surging the one all end all? Can water be contaminated and undesirable and inefficient even without surging? I have seen many boilers, with considerable sludge, that we're not surging on one hand, but were certainly taking longer to heat up on the other hand. Do the oils have the same effect or no effect or the reverse effect?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,768
    Options

So what happens to the oils? They are obviously still in the water. Just wondering how or why the surging stops? Does water with oil mixed in it take longer to heat up and turn to steam? Maybe it turns to steam quicker? Not making a statement, just want to know. Is surging the one all end all? Can water be contaminated and undesirable and inefficient even without surging? I have seen many boilers, with considerable sludge, that we're not surging on one hand, but were certainly taking longer to heat up on the other hand. Do the oils have the same effect or no effect or the reverse effect?

Going by what Rectorseal claims, I suspect it turns the oil etc into solids which may sink to the bottom of the boiler but I don't know. If they sink they could be washed out easier, maybe, I don't know.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,002
    Options
    Sounds scary. Don't exactly want to coat the bottom of the boiler with solids. Sounds like a heat transfer nightmare.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    It does not by any means enable you not to skim a new boiler and it will not magically make a improperly piped boiler to produce dry steam but it does seam to stop minor surging some what but it provide oxygen scavengers and seems to reduce any sort mud build up on the steam side of the boiler . This is what I have noticed from wanding boiler which it has been using this product . I use it not to eliminate skimming and wanding but for o2 scavenger and the corrosion inhibitors and it seems to do a fairly good job . I’ve never used 8 way but I heard tales so I keep to the surgemaster . It does due a great job for dirty system which tend to bring a lot of junk which makes the boiler prime ,it helps stop or keep at bay the priming and foaming until you can properly clean the boiler . Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating