Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Noritz CB199DV boroscope video inside heat exchanger - is it bad?

Options
Lost_aussie
Lost_aussie Member Posts: 10
edited November 2022 in Radiant Heating
Hi

I got an error 11 (fail to fire) on My Noritz CB199DV combi boiler. Noted the flame observation ports are all gummed up with what looks like rust. I cleaned the flame detector observation port and replaced the gasket with the spare they shipped with it new- this has reduced the opacity and it's currently firing first try.

While I had the port open I took a video with my boroscope camera. Posting some stills below and a link to the video from my google drive. Does anyone have knowledge / experience to diagnose if I have an issue with the heat exchanger, or if this is normal. I did notice some popping / hissing on first startup, which makes me suspect moisture and perhaps a HX failure.

The full gory details of the 'inspection' video can be viewed at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EdrEvcIZwLUdDnol7ud5xNQt7rKZRcll/view?usp=sharing

I'll be on the phone to Noritz tomorrow to hopefully get it resolved there, but wanted to get a trusted opinion (from the internet, not the manufacturer!!). Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

• Lost_aussie
    Options
    For anyone following along - Noritz initially said they'd replace the HX. However it's backordered, so they are replacing the entire unit with the NRCB199DV.
    Install is at my cost. I installed the original unit, but will get it professionally replaced this time.
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 977
    Options
    Yeah that's a lot of soot. the combustion process definitely not correct. was a combustion test done on start up?
    Lost_aussie
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,050
    Options

For anyone following along - Noritz initially said they'd replace the HX. However it's backordered, so they are replacing the entire unit with the NRCB199DV.
    Install is at my cost. I installed the original unit, but will get it professionally replaced this time.

That's actually a big win. Those heat exchangers do not look fun to replace
    Lost_aussie
  • Lost_aussie
    Options
    pedmec said:

Yeah that's a lot of soot. the combustion process definitely not correct. was a combustion test done on start up?

It was not. Definitely amateur hour on the install (full disclosure, it was me). I have a professional coming to take care of the replacement on Monday.