Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water leaving the system

Options
Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,416
Have a question for you guys that are good with your definitions? I know that you know water evaporates from your heating system because it’s technically a closed system and you have makeup water yada yada yada. My one good friend who is actually a chemist by trade. Understands the theory, But I couldn’t explain in some sort of way what physically goes on.
Can someone explain how it leaves the pipe and air will go in if no pressure on the system.

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,735
    Options
    What kind of system? Closed hot water systems only lose water if there is a leak. Steam systems evaporate some water in to the air that fills the system when it is cooling and the steam has condensed to water, the next time it heats the steam forces that air out which has some water vapor in it.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,805
    Options
    In a perfect system , no water is loss ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,416
    Options
    Ok let me rephrase the question, if you take all the air out of a system, and let’s just hypothetically say you let the system run for two years off and on and you monitor the incoming water ( makeup water) you have it set for minimum of 15 psi.
    Your telling me if I shut the fill valve it should never ask for water and pressure shouldn’t go down accept in possibly temp fluctuation like Air-conditioning?
    PC7060
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,735
    Options
    Yes.
    GGross
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    As as mentioned above, water is only leaving the system by way of a leak or during a manual purge. Once all the air is out and the system is tight, pressure will stay relatively the same. My system was filled two years ago, the make-up water is off, and the pressure hasn’t budged. I have a operating and maintained LWCO. 
    Steve Minnich
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,924
    Options
    A closed hydronic system will never need makeup water unless there is a leak. I install 50+ hydromic systems per year and I can count on 1 hand the amount of times any of them have needed any makeup water- every time was due to a leak. Quite a few that were installed upwards of 15 years ago that I still manage, are still holding the original 12 psi charge. I know this, because I have never once installed an auto feeder.
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,173
    edited November 2022
    Options
    mattmia2 said:
    Yes.
    What Matt said.  I leave my fill valve off on my hydronics heating system. Only need to turn on for few seconds after flushing the DirtMag. 
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,251
    Options
    air doesn't enter but O2 at a molecular level can and does. That is why O2 barrier tube is used.
    But even barrier tube allows some O2 into a closed, pressurized system. It is temperature related. the amount of O2 that can enter. The industry has a number for allowable O2 ingress, on barrier pex tube. It is included in all the listing numbers you see on the tube.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    GGross