Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Using a Dryer heating element with 12v batteries

Options
dondiggity
dondiggity Member Posts: 1
edited November 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to create the most basic form of heat transfer I can think of but I do not know much about converting energy.

I have a dryer heating element and I want to use a couple 12v deep cell marine batteries to power it. What all would I need to make this work besides the element, fan and the batteries? Thank you so much!

This is the heat element: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NX7Y3PR?pd_rd_i=B09NX7Y3PR&pf_rd_p=b000e0a0-9e93-480f-bf78-a83c8136dfcb&pf_rd_r=T1MNYA1VRJ55JVEA6B0D&pd_rd_wg=nb9gH&pd_rd_w=JMmIo&pd_rd_r=81ec570b-c5f1-4a84-8265-b9fd7cbd6d70

Comments

• bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 925
    edited November 2022
    Options
    That is a 240 V element. To power it from 12 V batteries you will need 20 of them connected in series. At that voltage it will draw 23 A, plus the motor.

Why do you want to do this?

Bburd
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,767
    Options
    If you powered it at 240v without a blower moving air over it, it would burn up. You could power it at a lower voltage without forced cooling.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,806
    Options
    The element will work on DC

The fan motor will not unless it's a DC motor

I don't know what DC voltage that heater element will want but I have a feeling its not 240V.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,339
    Options
    Hi @dondiggity , Here is a purpose made 12 VDC element: https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Ceramic-Insulated-Thermostatic-Heating/dp/B09KGJC7GY/ref=sr_1_5?crid=30IH3DZI85B8W&keywords=12+vdc+heating+element&qid=1667868533&s=hi&sprefix=12+vdc+heating+element,tools,211&sr=1-5 It's 200 watts. You would want a 12 VDC fan and some sort of control for it, which could simply be a switch. It all depends of what you're tyring to get done B)

Yours, Larry
  • mattmia2
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

The element will work on DC

The fan motor will not unless it's a DC motor

I don't know what DC voltage that heater element will want but I have a feeling its not 240V.

It is a resistive load (and nichrome is a thermistor but that isn't super important here) so it will behave exactly the same with 240v rms ac and 240v dc.
    ChrisJRPK
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 994
    Options
    Did a little math. This element is 5500 watt. You will only need 458 amps if you could make it work. Feel free to correct my math
    mattmia2
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 925
    Options
    pedmec said:
    Did a little math. This element is 5500 watt. You will only need 458 amps if you could make it work. Feel free to correct my math
    The element won’t draw much current, or produce much heat, at far below its rated voltage.

Bburd
    mattmia2
  • pedmec
    Options
    its just for fun if you could lol
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    pedmec said:
    It's a 5500w element at 240 volts.
    At 12 volts its only 13.75w and will draw 1.14A.

But I interpreted your response as assuming you're using a dc-dc converter to step up the voltage, so measuring the 12V draw from the batteries.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • mattmia2
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

pedmec said:

But I interpreted your response as assuming you're using a dc-dc converter to step up the voltage, so measuring the 12V draw from the batteries.

Nichrome being a thermistor is important here.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

ChrisJ said:

pedmec said:

I assume PTC?
  • mattmia2
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

mattmia2 said:

ChrisJ said:

pedmec said:

I assume PTC?

Yes. But it means its current consumption vs voltage isnt linear. It will consume more power than you would predict just using ohms law at lower than the rated voltage.
  • pedmec
    Options
    You guys have gone to far with a little joke. Point being if you really tried to get to 5500 watts. Having a little fun with him