Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is this device on my condensate return to a boiler feed tank?

860 Member Posts: 4
Hello, long time lurker, have taken Dans classes years ago. I’ve inherited a job site where I’m cutting my teeth and learning on a steam system that’s large by my residential experience. 

A pair of Weil-McLane 88 boilers on a time sequence control, each  rated at 1,084,000 btus. 7 pounds of steam. Each Carlin 702 has a single 5.50 nozzle at 350 psi on high fire. 

Each boiler water level is managed by both a 63a low water cutoff at the lowest permissible water level and a bit higher up a 150s-md high pressure level control.

 That control upon its low level will fire up the corresponding makeup feed pump from what is essentially a Skidmore duplex boiler feed tank of roughly 70 gallon capacity flooded. 

I also note that the 150-s has 3 distinct click sound positions when I manipulate the float buoy through its range of travel. 

The condensate entering the boiler room is all protected by Hoffman type float and thermostatic valves in various parts of the building served by this steam plant. 

Condensate drains from the building, through this mystery object, then catches additional condensate drip from two more F&T valves within the boiler room, and lastly it all drips back into the feed tank. 

In working out the bugs of this system, I’d like to know what this mysterious device is. Perhaps a swing check or pressure regulator. I have new bolts, nuts and appropriate gasket material so I’m about to take it apart to inspect it. Just wondering ahead of time if anyone knows what it is. 


  • 860
    860 Member Posts: 4
    There is a name brand on the side of this device, located in a triangle. P & G Co. Or maybe P & C Co. 

    I’m going to take it apart, clean, inspect. Resurface the flange and lid, cut a new gasket and reassemble. Given that there’s only 5 bolts holding the lid on, I certainly wouldn’t expect anything dangerous such as a large compressed spring. 

    In your experiences, any ideas what it is?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,840
    My guess would be a swing check valve. No Spring.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • 860
    860 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you Ed. Definitely think that you’re right. I’m going to make sure that it’s in good condition when I return to service the F&T valves this week.