Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weep hole

Options
Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
One of my friends asked me about weep hole in a radiator shut off valve. The only answer I had was so the zone doesn’t freeze and has just enough flow of hot water not to freeze. So my question is does all radiator shut off valves have weep holes ?
While on the subject, same friend is going to install a Weil McLain water boiler, in the directions the flow check valves where on supply and return? I told him that’s like wearing suspenders and a belt.
Thanks in advance guys

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,678
    Options
    Depending on the piping arrangement flow checks may be necessary on the supply and return, you can get gravity circulation within the pipe on the side without the flow check in some situations.
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    Old school hot water hand crank valves have small 1/4” hole to allow flow even when closed to reduce risk of freezing lines.  That’s how you can tell a steam valve, close fully with no hole. 
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Snowmelt said:
    One of my friends asked me about weep hole in a radiator shut off valve. The only answer I had was so the zone doesn’t freeze and has just enough flow of hot water not to freeze. So my question is does all radiator shut off valves have weep holes ? While on the subject, same friend is going to install a Weil McLain water boiler, in the directions the flow check valves where on supply and return? I told him that’s like wearing suspenders and a belt. Thanks in advance guys
    Often there is either a zone valve, of a circ in one end of the zone, so really only one check is needed

If you  have a single pump systems with zone valves in the returns, check in the circulator, you are covered also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream