Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One year ago this month

Options
Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
My last boiler installation, my house. My tools have never been as organized as they’ve been these last four years. 
Steve Minnich
EdTheHeaterManSTEVEusaPAAlan (California Radiant) ForbesWMno57kcoppErin Holohan HaskellEBEBRATT-EdJohnNY

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    Do you sleep there? With a boiler room wall like that, who needs Artwork?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Tinmankcopp
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    Options
    That is so neat and orderly, that I can't follow it.
    Designed by Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius

Great job.
    TinmanSTEVEusaPA
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    So proud of you, Steve. 
    Retired and loving it.
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    Options
    Thank you, Dan. 
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    Options
    MikeAmann said:
    That is so neat and orderly, that I can't follow it. Designed by Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius Great job.
    I have a CAD drawing of it that makes it easy to follow. It’s actually very simple. I just added some thing for fun. I’ll share it later. There was no way to get a straight on photo of it because it’s got floor cabinets two feet in front of it that serve my woodworking shop. 
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    great piping!  I like seeing horizontal manifold mounts to eliminate all the loops at the manifold 
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    great piping!  I like seeing horizontal manifold mounts to eliminate all the loops at the manifold 
    Thank you, Bob. 
    Steve Minnich
  • ronbugg
    ronbugg Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Real neat job. It is a code violation (NFPA 70) to use the conduits to support cables. I do it too makes a neat job.
    Tinman
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    The only thing that I would improve is to insulate all that piping with pipe wrap. I love symmetry. It is the basis of beauty.
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    Options
    The only thing that I would improve is to insulate all that piping with pipe wrap. I love symmetry. It is the basis of beauty.
    I’ve insulated the pipe to the indirect water heater because it was fighting my shop AC in the summer. Vegas summers provide enough of a battle. I’ll eventually insulate the rest. 
    Steve Minnich
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    I really have to look hard to find anything questionable and it's truly a work of art. I'm being very nit-picky when I see separate purge assemblies on the returns. Since you can isolate the supplies, all you need is one, no? I also put it closer to the LLH to rid more air.

Does that condensate pump come with neutralizer?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    Options
    The purge ports have been my habit since I started. I didn’t see any sense in changing that for my last one. 
    Air has never, ever been an issue with the way I pipe my systems. After the initial manual purge, it’s less than a few minutes for the system to take care of the remaining microbubbles. Of course, that’s dependent on the water volume. 
    Umm, yes. This isn’t my first installation of a modulating condensing boiler. On mine and every one of my customer’s installs, I (we), would test the pH of the water in the reservoir and most of the time we would change the neutralizing pellets. 
    Don’t let the moniker of “Tinman” fool you. 
    Do you read PHC News? I was their hydronics columnist the last four years until I had to retire just recently. 
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    Options

This is my system. I provided CAD drawings to all of my customers so that any tech other than myself isn’t scratching their heads for 30 minutes trying to figure out what I did. That said, I did some things on my system that I would never do on someone else’s. The isolated pressure gauges piped parallel to each circulator is a good example. 
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    Options
    And I just realized that’s not the final drawing. 🤷‍♂️
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    Options
    The final drawing. 

Steve Minnich
    GGross
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    A work of art for sure
    Tinman
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    And here I am following that same diagram.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

MikeAmannTinmanErin Holohan Haskell
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    I'd like to know what you discovered about your system, mainly the pressure drop through your radiant loop and the drops through the rads at different loads to see if in fact, the pumps keep the ΔP stable and then, with the pumps set at "Fixed Speed" to see what the pressure drops are.

You have two models of Taco ECM pumps documented, both seem to have the same characteristics (max. 18' head, 16 gpm flowing), but the ones that you installed look the same.

How does your iSeries mixing valve get along with the boiler's ODR control?

I see this as your laboratory for experimentation; very cool.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Tinman
    Options
    That was, and still is my plan. I just haven’t been able to do it yet. Not a high priority right now. Good eye. Both systems pumps are currently Taco 0015e. I’ll use them for a while but will also be popping in an Alpha 2 at some point. Lots of new stuff still in inventory from my contracting days. 
    Steve Minnich