Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler size recommendations

2»

Comments

• WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,264

Which steam oil boilers can be converted to propane? Hot water boilers there are many. Burnham adamantly refuses to allow Megasteam gas conversion. I've corresponded with them about that many times now. Voids the warranty, plumbing and gas inspector might not approve a permit, and home insurance company may not cover damages in the event of a fire. The other way around converting from propane to oil is even less plausible. I'm seeing possibly Weil-Mclain SGO, Peerless WBV or EC. There might be a few others where gas conversion doesn't void the warranty.

I live in a different world than many here. Those issues would not stop me from doing what I decide to do to my boiler in my home. My world might not be where other Wallies choose to be. Peerless makes good boilers.

I DIY.
  • random12345
    random12345 Member Posts: 469
    I have no problem with civil disobedience where it doesn't put me or my family's life in harm's way, but in my case, my inspector specifically told me he would not approve the conversion. I'm not sure I can even get someone to do it in that case, and even if I went ahead anyway, what would my highly liberal (basically leftist) town government do when they find out? Fines, lawsuits? The conversation I had with my home insurance company did not leave me feeling confident that they would take care of me if my house caught on fire either. One quote I got for gas conversion was so high anyway that I could have nearly bought a whole new boiler. It's a strange world we live in...