Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Options? 5500 Sq Ft Victorian Mansion w/50+ year old system

Options
2»

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,678
    Options
    We'd need some pictures of the gas valve and the device with the button that the lighting instructions refer to. I'm not so sure the gas train doesn't meet current regulations, it looks more like it was designed before current regulations and the factory modified the design to meet modern requirements instead of completely redesigning. There are a few safeties that it is missing that a modern boiler would have.
    Mad Dog_2
  • OSBMXER
    OSBMXER Member Posts: 5
    Options
    We own a 5,700 sq. ft. c1918 mansion in the upper Midwest and paid $1,100 for last February but have a hot water system with 2 newer boilers. I would ask yourself, how much to you think it "should" cost under ideal conditions, and then, what money and work are you willing to do to get there?

IMHO you're not paying that much above what any ideal condition could provide. You have an extremely large house, live in a cold climate, and have an old system. If this isn't a lifestyle you can manage in terms of handyman skills or finances, owning an old mansion might not be the best for you or the mansion in the long run.

My advice if you stay or buy: find a way to rationalize the expense emotionally. It is what it is. Budget for it, and enjoy that old home for all of its glory. If you emotionally toil with winter heating bills, all of the carved woodwork will not make up for it. Good luck!