Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NYC 2 LWCO requirements

Options
Three gas hot water boilers will be installed. The boiler comes with SafGard 1100. As a 2nd LWCO is required by NYC, can I use SafGard 1100M as the 2nd LWCO which has manual reset? Is there a requirement to have 2 LWCOs from two different companies/brands? Thanks

Comments

• ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 856
    Options
    In some states it depends on the BTU input to each boiler. What is the BTU input?
  • frank100
    frank100 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    One 100,000 BTU, two 67,000 BTU.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,543
    Options
    I don't claim to be an expert on the NY code. But you usually only need 1 LWCO on hot water boiler but it should be manual reset. Steam would require 2 LWCO 1 auto reset and 1 manual reset
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    Since you already have the one that comes with the boiler, Go inexpensive on the second one. It is just there to pass inspection. It may need to be bypassed in the future so why waste money where you don't need to. That is my thinking.

If this is a public building with annual NYC inspections, then that is a different story. I used to have a good rapport with the state boiler inspector for my area. I had 3 commercial customers that needed annual boiler inspection. He would call me to schedule the inspections because the customers had no clue. All passed every year. I would schedule the boiler maintenance for the same day to keep the customer cost to a minimum. Boilers that needed internal inspection were already open when he arrived.

You gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?