Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old Crane Boiler with Pilot Out

Options
I have been following this form for a while! I went to start my heat for the season and noticed that the pilot could not be seen. (I went and cut off my heat)This Boiler is very old but always worked like a charm. Any advice on relighting the pilot would be greatly appreciated.   . 

Comments

• bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 912
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Lighting instructions are on the burner, see second photo above.

You may just have a bad thermocouple, which is a simple and inexpensive repair.

Bburd
    MissFixRight
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    That red button off to the right is the "start" button. It closes a switch held closed by the thermocouple. You probably have to take that cover off with the chrome handle to get to the pilot. Make sure the large valve is off before you take the cover off or stick your hand in there so the main burner doesn't accidentally light.

You really should have someone that understands that type of burner and conversion clean it and test the safeties and combustion.
    MissFixRight
  • MissFixRight
    MissFixRight Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the response. So the gas to the whole property was cut off at the main a few days prior to replace a faulty valve on my gas hot water tank. Which in return killed the pilot on our Crane Beast of a Boiler. I have read the directions on the panel of the Gas Conversion Burner but wanted to be sure. I have a HAVAC gentleman coming out just to be 100% safe about it. Thanks again
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 912
    Options
    After gas is shut off and the pipes opened, air must be purged from the gas lines once they are re-pressurized before appliances can be lighted. This is a job for a gas fitter or technician. Gas lines must not be purged into the combustion chamber of an appliance due to the explosion hazard, so some disconnection of piping is involved.

Bburd