Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tekmar 563 help to get heating connected

nancyl
nancyl Member Posts: 20
edited October 2022 in Thermostats and Controls
Hello all

First thank you so much for any help to get this figured out. The knowledge on this forum is amazing!

An overview of our heating and cooling systems in our new construction house:

Heat is provided by a radiant heat floor (pex loops in concrete) where four zones are controlled by zone valves. The zone valves are controlled by a TACO ZVC404-exp zone valve controller.

For cooling we have a standard Rheem AC unit and air handler/blower to distribute the cooled air. We have two zones for the AC and those zones are controlled by duct zone valves. This cooling system is managed by a Honeywell HZ311 zone board.

We'll be adding an HRV that will run year round but I don't have that equipment yet.

The main living area is managed by zone 1 for heating and zone 1 for cooling. The other living areas are managed by zone 2 for heating and zone 2 for cooling. The remaining heating zones are for non living areas of the house so no cooling control and the heat is managed by a basic two wire radiant heat thermostat in each zone.

We have a Tekmar 563 to use as the thermostat in our main living area (zones 1) and a Tekmar 562 for the secondary living area (zones 2).

The Tekmar thermostats were installed in this summer during cooling season and worked perfectly for cooling the two zones. Now as we approach winter we need to get the heating connected to the Tekmar thermostats.

Because the heat and cooling are two completely separate systems I'm not sure how to connect the two wires from the heating, and the four wires from the cooling on the 563. I'm assuming the connections for zone 2 will be the same on the 562.

Pictures below of how zone 1 is currently connected for AC only. I need to get the heating added.

We got our first snow here today so I'm hoping we can get this sorted very soon.

Comments

• pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    red-rh1, white-w for heat
  • nancyl
    pedmec said:
    red-rh1, white-w for heat
    Thank you for the response.  Would I need to change the J1 jumper to on or change the J3 jumper to off also?

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    edited October 2022
    Turn off the Rh1 Jumper. You do not want to connect the Taco ZVC with the Honeywell damper control panel. You want to keep the Rc and the Rh separate. You still need the R connected to something so leave the Rc jumper turned on.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • nancyl
    Turn off the Rh1 Jumper. You do not want to connect the Taco ZVC with the Honeywell damper control panel. You want to keep the Rc and the Rh separate. You still need the R connected to something so leave the Rc jumper turned on.
    Ok, so leave the jumpers alone (1 is off currently) and just connect the red wire to Rh1 and the white wire to W1 and that's all that's needed?

I'll give it a go.  Thank you.
    EdTheHeaterMan