Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Modifying controls to Tekmar and remote control

I currently have a Lochinvar boiler, WHN199, installed in a home we bought. I am looking to install Tekmar controls into the system to help as the overall purpose is to add the gateway (486) as well so that I can see the system when we are not home and have some “away” controls. I was told to add 313 zone controls, 552 thermostats and then the 486 Gateway originally. We are not in this home all the time and sometimes gone for a couple weeks at a time in the winter. I know that the radiant floors really don’t work as well with setbacks, but I would like to drop the temps a few degrees when we leave for a long time as I think that would save a bit. Perhaps I’m wrong? Lets assume 10 days in the winter and we drop it 3 degrees. Is that reasonable or stupid!?

When I spoke to Tekmar support they suggested I just install the 400 controller and 1 - 313 to take over all the boiler thinking and control the entire system with Tekmar. I’m totally good with this, but would like some thoughts on the ideas.

I have 7 total zones, 3 upstairs (master, master bath, remaining area of kitchen, family room and laundry area), 3 on main level (1 for two bedrooms/baths, 1 for large bedroom/bath, 1 for living area and hallways and 1 for the garage. I want to combine two of the zones on the main level (two br's and living area). I also know that my boiler (4 years old) was not dialed in 100% with setpoints as it tends to short cycle quite a bit. I’m hoping I can change this as well with the new controller.

My current thermostats are two wire only so that is why i was angled toward the Tekmar system which works well with 2 wire units and controls.

My boiler does not have the card installed that will allow it to send out warnings. Would the 400 controller do this or would I also need to add the card into the boiler?

Thanks for reading and any help would be much appreciated for sure!

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited October 2022
    I know that the radiant floors really don’t work as well with setbacks, but I would like to drop the temps a few degrees when we leave for a long time as I think that would save a bit. Perhaps I’m wrong? Lets assume 10 days in the winter and we drop it 3 degrees. Is that reasonable or stupid!?
    That's a good thing to do, especially if your house is slab on grade.

My boiler does not have the card installed that will allow it to send out warnings. Would the 400 controller do this or would I also need to add the card into the boiler?
    You will need the card as the Tekmar is only keeping track of boiler temperatures.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    jmoar
  • jmoar
    jmoar Member Posts: 20
    Alan, yes my main level is slab on grade so good to hear you think a few degrees would be worthwhile. also good to know or think about on the boiler. I did talk to tekmar support today and they said there is a new firmware update coming to the 400 soon that will add a temp alert that is adjustable and more. Thank you!
    edited October 2022
    The Lochinvar ConXus will give you more diagnostic information for the boiler as well as being able to adjust parameters for setpoints, reset curves, pump controls and more. For the everyday homeowner, it's maybe too much information unless you live in a cold climate and this is your second home where it's important to know that your boiler is working.

• jmoar
    Alan, Thanks and yes i fit this criteria. Second home in the mountains. We do, however, spend about 1/2 our time there and are usually up within two week max. I'm really looking for info if the boiler is not working or if a zone iis not working or starts to go cold.
    edited October 2022
    If you want to know remotely if the boiler is not working, get the ConXus. And if you want to know remotely if a room is not heating properly, look into replacing your thermostats with WiFi enabled ones like Nest, Ecobee, Venstar or Honeywell Prestige. See if you have extra, unused wires at your thermostats.

Just a warning: this can open a can of worms for you.

GGrossMikeAmann
  • jmoar
    Unfortunately, my thermostats are all wired with a two wire system. After reading this form, I am not aware of any of those aforementioned thermostats that can work solely on a two wire system. That is why I’m looking at upgrading the controls.  I realize the tekmar system is perhaps more than I will need to, but the peace of mind of knowing the temperatures in the zones are floor is will be combing.  I would agree that I think I have to add the controls to the boiler as well. Thanks for your input so much.