Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fan Inop Modine Garage Heater

Options
vipalaska
vipalaska Member Posts: 2
I have a gas fired Modine heater model # PAE30AC that hangs from the ceiling in my garage at my summer Alaska home. Upon arrival, I discovered that the exhaust stack on the roof was knocked over, probably from snow sliding down my metal roof. I straightened it up and secured it, but I noticed that the fan or blower motor will not come on. The pilot light is lit and I can hear it flame up when I call for heat, but the blower/fan does not come on. How can I troubleshoot this unit?

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    I guess you have power unless you have a milivolt gas valve. Normally there is a temperture activated fan switch that should turn the fan on after a warm up. Does the fan blade spin freely?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    All the information I can find on your model indicates that you have a 24 volt control system.
    This means if the gas valve is powered, then the heater has electricity powering the low voltage transformer. You will need a multimeter to determine if there is electrical power actually reaching the motor. If you are not comfortable with working on live electrical power, then you need to contact a service professional.

Assuming that you have an electrical meter and that you understand how to use it, there is usually an electrical diagram on the unit. Sometimes a label on a removable panel inside the equipment. You can follow the path the electricity takes thru fan controls and relays that enable the power to reach the fan motor.

If the motor turns freely and the electricity is reaching the motor, then the motor is defective. That is the worst case situation. Usually there is a wire loose, or a temperature switch that is defective.

Hope this helps.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics