Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

part needed for Coleman gas furnace

Options
zepfan
zepfan Member Posts: 397
I am trying to locate an igniter assembly for a very old (1981) coleman gas furnace. The part is a three rod assembly that has a has an spark rod, flame sensor, and separate ground rod. I called Coleman, and found that they are now owned by Johnson Controls. I was told that the part is obsolete. I didn't know if anyone knew of a place to buy parts for old furnaces. The ignition is a direct spark to ignition set up, no pilot tubing. Thanks to all.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    edited September 2022
    Options
    If you have a photo, and a model number of the part or the furnace model number. A number for the control that makes the spark might also help. But really, a 1981 furnace is now over 50 years old. The life expectancy of a furnace in 1981 was 17 to 26 years.. You have had double that in service from that furnace. I think it is time to send your furnace to its final resting place.

Let us all take this time to have a moment of silence for this 1981 Coleman. You served us well Cole! :(

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    @zepfan

You should probably think twice before putting $$ into that old beast.

But, the pilot burners etc are usually a standard part made by the control manufacturers like Robert Shaw or Honeywell. Look at your gas control and that may give you a clue of where to look. But it could be an obsolete part if it is a standing pilot which it probably is

You can probably get a conversion kit to install a new control and igniter assembly but it's probably not a DIY job and is probably not worth doing that
    zepfan
  • zepfan
    Options
    I was able to find the assembly on a coleman mobile home parts website. Apparently Colman continues to make furnaces for mobile homes, in which some use this same electrode assembly.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,672
    Options
    Baso probably make something that would work too.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    zepfan said:

I was able to find the assembly on a coleman mobile home parts website. Apparently Colman continues to make furnaces for mobile homes, in which some use this same electrode assembly.

Good luck. You should start putting your pennies into a piggy bank for installing a new furnace if you plan on living there for any considerable length of time.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• zepfan
    Options
    It was not my furnace, it was a customer's. I would imagine that they know they are going to need a new furnace, but it had to be repaired in the inter rum
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    I never heard of Inter rum. I am a Captain Morgan Man myself

Edward Young Retired