Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What can you not get about single pipe steam

Options
Jackmartin
Jackmartin Member Posts: 196
edited September 2022 in Gas Heating
When you think you couldn't see anything more dumb, wait until tomorrow. I got a call from a rather, shall we say ,hated apartment house in Winnipeg. I think everyone I know has worked there from carpentry to plumbing and in deference to Erin I won't use the most common language. I had done a repipe there, some idiot cut the main on the single pipe and decided to put reciever tanks all over the the place, ya dont know, go with the flow. He cut the main at exactly the place it saged so hello trap,aint no way water is going back to that boiler. They have spent close to 259,000 dollars in insurance claims for spitting air vents buckling the floors. I installed a trap right next to the one that had been installed exactly where the main had been cut in half and what do you know, the banging went away and no more spitting vents. Unfortunately, this place is managed by a reality company and sigh, yes ,they ripped me off for a three thousand dollar job because a new reality company bought thier business ,so they owed us nothing,screw off. In defense of the residents ,they offered to pay us personally, but a business lose is to be expected and we said no to thier kindness. Well, a chap I knew at that block asked me as a favor to look at the boiler and I said yeah. The burner mechanic had taken the expensive Oz control I told them to get and cranked the shutoff to 32 ozs and hell the cutin to 32 ozs. I told the chap that phoned me I was not going to touch anything because the reality ghouls had not phoned me and I was liable,so I told him to get brainiac back in and adjust the control. Well as luck would have it the new ghouls have at least a little bit of intelligence after they threw all of us out and hired Randall Plumbing and Heating,they are entering thier 110 years here and they know what the hell you should do. I have not heard of a problem since. This brings me to the dead men, this block is huge, built in 1904, the pipe was taken by a six team horse trailer. The block worked great until the advent of oil and they declared the resident caretaker boiler man redundant. Then the crap began, the dead men didn't need all these transfer pumped tanks,what for? The reason the whole thing fell to pieces was simply something which enrages me each time I see it and I ain't young. In the event you don't know how it works make it into something you think you understand, duh, why did it work perfectly for 65 years until they converted to oil genus,because they had a person who understood the system to the last connection. The dead men had to think and apply physics because they could not simply go to the wholesale and stick in another tank,yuk,yuk. We have some heating mechanics here I call when I am stumped, I am 70 they are in thier forties but they know something I don't, only a fool does not ask for help. Stay Well and love your kids, who's going to wipe your rear when you can't do it yourself? Jack

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,867
    edited September 2022
    Options
    You don't know @JackSchidt!... @Jackmartin

At age 18, I already knew everything!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,867
    Options
    Then I got to be 25.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

PC7060