Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam---loving it! -- Brass or Bronze??? -->>1.5 inch steam Angle Radiator valve --

LS123
LS123 Member Posts: 475

Hello and greeting heating Help forum!!
I was wondering what is the difference and what effects it would be to have a 1.5 Steam Angle radiator valve one; one that is Brass and the other Bronze... there 1/3 rd the price...

1) I am not sure what are the thermodynamics involved and differences between a brass and Bronze valve... Q1?
2) Is there why pay 2/3 rd more for Brass if Bronze Steam valve do the Job?

Thanks for your feedback!!
\-LS123
Thank you!
@LS123

Comments

• 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,388
    From the net;

Bronze should be used for all fittings that come in contact with heated boiler water because brass can corrode and become brittle. (dezincification) Brass fittings can be used for the cold water and for the steam lines.

Also are the valves steam rated ?

Lead free costs more too.

I think thermodynamics is the least of the issues, since you are right next to the radiator.

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
    LS123
  • LS123
    Thank you @109A_5 ... I hope products I am seeking lead free... yes me casa (home) is steam single pipe... I found lot more products at affordable prices.

Thank you!
    @LS123
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,098
    @LS123

Just make sure the valve is steam rated and has a big enough "hole" in it. Some are designed mor for water than steam.
    LS123
  • LS123
    Hello @EBEBRATT-Ed thank you! my place has been steam for probably more that I been around... based of my research of the home... happy that I have steam... I hope oil prices go down... or someone come up with a new way for us to be less dependent on us being control by middle east oil produces (OPEC and OPEC+).... oil companies making us pay for their profits) .

I will check to make sure that the new valve meet the steam rad as you mentioned. Always thankful and appreciate for your contributions and feedback, Thank you Ed!
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,204
    If only there was a way to be not dependent upon the Mid East....novel idea....could that ever happen?

And is there a customer of any company that does not pay their profits?
    LS123
  • LS123
    I agree with you @JUGHNE ... if I am not mistaken, my information may slightly older.... why should we NOT only pay for Oil producing countries for their products, while our major oil companies (in US) take advantages of us (average consumers like most people in this forum,that work hard for our money), yet because US companies that process oil / gas (patrol) Sell oil (and its products) at much higher price and make over $50 billion profit in one year ( i think its just one company); While CEOs of these companies dont give as much as a ONE mice dropping for how average person has to pay for their crap... I have a problem with that... I have read some where that one of the oil producing (middle eastern) countries pay about 30 Cents per gallon of gasoline.
    My take is to use less, make a dent in profits, then the price go down as demand for supplies go down...
    Thank you!
    @LS123