Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham baseray baseboards bursting

twinponds
twinponds Member Posts: 1
Old house in NJ built about 1840. Previous owners did extensive renovations in 2005/2006. About 3800 sq ft. 7 old radiators (working fine) and about 20 hot water baseray baseboards ranging from 2’ to 13’. 3/2020 came home to water pouring from a burst section in bedroom- strange smell, plumber thought it was some type of antifreeze used by previous owner (He believed the wrong type for home usage)- we replaced it. Over the next year and a half 5 more burst or leaked. Plumber disabled them. One plumber thought the antifreeze corrode the cast iron, the other believes it is a defect bc inside no evidence of corrosion. Question- anybody ever hear of this happening? We moved in 2011 and never had any problems for almost 9 years.
Another question- bc we feel uncomfortable leaving the house now we have decided we cannot trust them anymore and will replace. It’s a huge expense and obvious inconvenience as our house will be a mess and touch up etc. what to replace with? I don’t think I can ever trust cast iron baseboards again. Our plumber suggested runtal but I think they will look out of place in our old home. I am left with slant fin metal style? Any ideas? Thought about putting in new old style registers but then I have to get all new baseboard trim. HELP! (Obviously I don’t know much about heating and plumbing so forgive me if I am not explaining myself well). Thanks in advance

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    You say extensive renovation... When they did they did they also do re-piping to the radiators?
    Did they replace copper/ steel piping w Pex tubing or Onix tubing/ if so that may be the culprit.
    Non barrier/ poor barrier tubing would let O2 into the system

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    Where did the baseboards burst? Within the sections or did the sections come apart or something else?
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,377
    Failed expansion tank and / or pressure regulator ?

Did the Plumbers check them ?

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System