Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

VC zone valve tool

Options
I have a building with 4-500 VC series zone valves which are beginning to fail after nearly 30 years. The new valve cartridges come with an install tool, but this tool does not fit the original cartridges for removal (the tabs are about 1/4 inch too short in length), anyone aware of a tool from that era for the early cartridges? I'm currently removing the spring and clip then two small holes and a needle nose pliers gets them unscrewed, but as some of them are pretty tight installs that isn't always an option, the only info I have found is that in 2004-5 a change was made but no specifics,

Comments

• 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,385
    Options
    Hello @Dathis, Would something like this work for you ? There are probably other like tools.

https://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-pin-wrench-36554.html

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Finish-Adjustable-Spanner-Drilled/dp/B07HQHSRKS/ref=asc_df_B07HQHSRKS/

Years ago I had a machinist friend modify a 6 point 17mm impact socket (thicker wall) so two pins (about 3/16" long) came out of the hex end of the socket. He actually removed the metal until just the pins remained. 17mm was chosen to give the correct pin width. Also the 1/4" detent hole at the square drive end was drilled all the way through so a #2 Phillips screwdriver could be used as a 'T' handle. Your application is different so a different size socket may be needed. It worked perfect for that application, much better than the cheap steel wire type tool that came with the assembly.

Maybe an open end wrench with holes drilled in the sides of the open end and roll pins inserted so they poke out both sides (take advantage of the 15 degree offset).

I like custom made tools when needed, they make life easier.

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
    EdTheHeaterManLarry Weingarten
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,836
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Since @109A_5 posted an idea about custom made tools, you might find that a local machine shop will be able to create a tool that is a little wider to grab those ridges in the older cartridge.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    109A_5
  • 109A_5
    Options
    Pictures of the old and the new cartridges (maybe side by side) would be nice.
    One Pipe System
  • 109A_5
    Options
    Since you may have an old cartridge maybe you can use it as a form. Coat the part where the tool would go into with silicone grease, rap the spring with wax paper, put a tube (plastic or paper) of an appropriate diameter and height above where the tool would be inserted and fill it up with JB Weld or the like. Once done it would drop on to an old cartridge and you could use a small pipe wrench for the lever. Or if you think it would need to be stronger make it with the spring removed for a thicker tool.

Just an idea I have never tried this, but I may some day.

One Pipe System
    Dathis
  • Dathis
    Dathis Member Posts: 6
    Options
    109A_5 said:
    I actually had the same idea, unfortunately the pivot on the tool cant be tightened enough to keep it from moving, I ground the pins to fit it tightly but my welding skills are limited to lock it at the appropiate size

• Karl Reynolds
    Karl Reynolds Member Posts: 62
    Options
    I think this is the Honeywell part number for the wrench: 40007029-002
  • 109A_5
    Options
    Dathis said:

I actually had the same idea, unfortunately the pivot on the tool cant be tightened enough to keep it from moving, I ground the pins to fit it tightly but my welding skills are limited to lock it at the appropiate size

There are other ways to inhibit the pivot function than welding if that tool will otherwise work.

One Pipe System
  • Dathis
    Dathis Member Posts: 6
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and help, I ended up using the pin wrench and JB weld to create a tool, it works quite well, the star shaped disc created with the JB weld fits in smoothly though it does require spring removal and created even pressure allowing cartridge to unscrew easily, the pin wrench is a good lever but I may have to shorten the handle for tight spaces or create another with a shorth "T" type handle for those tight spaces