Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

True Zone with 2 stage /variable speed equipment.

Options
It has been several years since I have been doing this work and I always thought that the Honeywell True Zone Panel should be able to operate a Variable Speed ECM air handler or 2 Stage furnace or compressor on Low speed or Stage one only with only one zone operating and then go to the second stage when multiple zones were calling for Cooling (or Heating). This was not the case a few years ago with the Honeywell Zone Panel I remember installing for some of my customers.

I understand the the latest version of this panel, The Honeywell HV432 panel, can do just that. My son is adding on to his home and I suggested to use a zone panel for the addition and install ECM air handler and 2 stage compressor. Leave room for zone dampers and perhaps a zone panel that will do what I mentioned above.

So he is using a Goodman AVPTC**14** air handler 2 ton with a 2 ton, 2 stage condensing unit. The air handler IO manual is here: https://hvacdirect.com/hvac/pdf/AVPTC-Install.pdf
It appears that you can set the air handler for lower speed operation on stage one call for heat or cooling. Then on stage 2 call for heat or cool you can set up a higher CFM for the larger capacity.

The Honeywell appears to have the capacity to keep the call for heat or cool in low speed or stage one when only one zone is calling, then apply stage 2 when more than one zone is calling. If this is true, can a single stage thermostat input to the zone damper panel be used as I have illustrated in this diagram:
and will the panel then send the stage 2 call for heat or cooling when there is a call for heat or cooling from both zones.

Anyone with experience on this new zone control, please reply with your comments. Does it work as expected or will we need to wait for someone at some zone control company to get a good idea.

Here is the IO manual for the Honeywell HZ432: https://controltrends.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/HZ432-TrueZone-System.pdf If that helps.

Mr Ed.
Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    According to what i read yes it looks like single zone stats can be used.

Zone help hot line is 1-800-TAT-HELP
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    Thanks ED. I was wondering if anyone else had experience with the HZ432 panel?

I'll call that number on Monday to see what they have to say.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Gilgo
    Gilgo Member Posts: 5
    Options
    We have multiple Bosch Inverter Ducted Split systems installed employing the Honeywell HZ432 panels with multiple zones. No bypass needed, and quiet operation.
    We have seen phenomenal performance, comfort, and efficiency.
    Strongly advise an inverter system over 2 stage.
    We are on Long Island, huge PSEG rebates, plus upcoming Fed rebates and credits!
    EdTheHeaterMan