Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New gas boiler for steam heating

Don10000
Don10000 Member Posts: 21
I am replacing a very old American Standard “Savern” oil-fired steam boiler with a new gas boiler.
I’ve been getting conflicting thoughts about the process of removing asbestos from the boiler. Two Questions please:
1. Does anyone know if the asbestos can be removed from this boiler in the home or does the whole boiler have to be removed from the house?
2. What’s considered a good gas boiler for steam heat?
Thank You!

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Posting a few pictures of the boiler, showing it in it's entirety with all piping connected, may get you an answer from someone here.

Also a good shot of the nameplate info.
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    asbestos removal has to be removed by a licensed abatement company.

weil-mclain, hb smith are some. i used to do a lot with burnham independence boilers but the have problems with corrosion at the top of the cast iron
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Peerless, & Weil Mclain are the most popular
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    pedmec said:

asbestos removal has to be removed by a licensed abatement company.

weil-mclain, hb smith are some. i used to do a lot with burnham independence boilers but the have problems with corrosion at the top of the cast iron

Is that a federal law or a state law?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @ChrisJ

Used to be here that a homeowner could remove it properly at his own risk as long as he took it to the proper site for disposal. Don't know if that is still true.

Probably not the best idea.

I knew a plumber that used to take all his old sinks and toilets (and probably asbestos) and throw it in a dumpster at a post office or a government housing project.

He said that's what he paid taxes for. Maybe not anymore with all the camera's
    ChrisJ
  • JUGHNE
    Are we talking pipe insulation or the actual boiler itself or both.

Might not be a lot of asbestos in a cast iron boiler????

Show it, there are some old timers on here who may have your answer.
  • Don10000
    The asbestos pipe insulation needs to be removed also, but I'm more concerned with the asbestos insulation inside the boiler. Here is a Pic of the boiler and tag and near piping.

• pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    not sure if its the exact same boiler (it looks very much like it) but had it tested for asbestos in the boiler and it came back positive for asbestos. sometimes better to be safe
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 909
    edited August 2022
    Likely places to find asbestos on that boiler:

Air cell board insulation beneath the outer jacket.
    Furnace cement sealing joints between boiler sections, and possibly around the fire doors or burner mounting.
    Vermiculite insulation around the combustion chamber.
    Combustion chamber refractory. 

Bburd
  • JUGHNE
    Do you have outside basement door/steps it might fit through?
  • Don10000
    The boiler would be a tight fit thru two doorways to be removed w/o taking it apart. The easiest way is to take it apart to remove the beast. Not sure, that may cause asbestos to start flying around. Thank you all for your thoughtful replies.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    Is that bat insulation also some sort of asbestos wool?