Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

It's Just What I Do

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited August 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
imageIt's Just What I Do

Be gentle with people. We all make mistakes. Help if you can. It’s what we should do.

Read the full story here

Tinman

Comments

• joea99
    joea99 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    All you say is true. But.

What was the ultimate resolution? Did the contractor fess up to the homeowner? It is not simply a "technical issue" to be solved. There are other issues, which might end up in court, if he makes converts to a steam system without including the home owner in the decisions to be made.
    BillE35
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    "Help if you can. It’s what we should do." ... Thanks for this. It's golden!

Yours, Larry
  • JohnMansolf
    JohnMansolf Member Posts: 1
    Options
    My first reaction is, "how can this happen?" But I'm basing that statement on my knowledge and experience, not theirs. None of us knows everything. It is better to share our knowledge and experience without judgement. Believe me, I struggle everyday as an old business owner
    Larry Weingarten
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @joea99, we don't know the ultimate resolution. The point of the tale is at the very end, as Larry was nice enough to point out.

But you got me thinking. I once wrote a novel called, Milkman. It's a coming-of age story about two young people, one of whom, Hannah Kepler, sees so deeply into human nature that it becomes more than she can bear.

She said this in the story: "Books never really end. You can imagine whatever you’d like after you get to the last page of any book. That’s the nice thing about books. They become a part of you when you reach their end. They sit and wait for you to continue the story for them.”

So, please do.
    Retired and loving it.
  • joea99
    Options

@joea99, we don't know the ultimate resolution. The point of the tale is at the very end, as Larry was nice enough to point out.

But you got me thinking. I once wrote a novel called, Milkman. It's a coming-of age story about two young people, one of whom, Hannah Kepler, sees so deeply into human nature that it becomes more than she can bear.

She said this in the story: "Books never really end. You can imagine whatever you’d like after you get to the last page of any book. That’s the nice thing about books. They become a part of you when you reach their end. They sit and wait for you to continue the story for them.”

So, please do.

Not sure if your closing line was an invitation to continue this thread or . . .

Anyway, I did get the point was to help when you can and certainly agree with that.

I just felt too many where down on "that guy" (a homeowner apparently) who was pointing out an important issue, albeit rather indelicately, or just without any empathy. And rightly so perhaps.

Most replies were no doubt well intended, to help the hapless contractor find a way out of his immediate problem, but did not give thought (apparently) to his potential liability in that matter.

So, in the spirit of you message, I will "continue the story", to envision the contractor approaching the homeowner, describing the various options and arriving at a mutually satisfactory resolution that leaves both reasonably "whole".

Dang, maybe I have a future are a novelist . . .

Larry Weingarten
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    I'm curious how often this happens. There were 2 posts about 2 different systems where this happened, one from the contractor, one from a homeowner within a month, but I haven't seen any since.
    PC7060
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Thanks, @joea99. It’s fun to think up the rest of the story. Could go so many ways. Are you a reader? If so, I’ll send you Milkman. PM me. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • joea99
    Options

Thanks, @joea99. It’s fun to think up the rest of the story. Could go so many ways. Are you a reader? If so, I’ll send you Milkman. PM me. 

I'd be happy to give it a read. Too bad I did not have a proof reader for my last post, a couple spelling errors and lack of a clear meaning to the "rightly so" comment. Could be taken either way.