Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Picking a Ductless installer?

Options
Zipper13
Zipper13 Member Posts: 229
edited August 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi!

We're looking to get a ductless heatpump (heat/ac) put in our living room. 

There are a few names I see around a lot, and I'll be asking for estimates from them for sure, but I'm wondering if anyone has had a great experience with anyone specific  around the Salem/Danvers/Peabody Massachusetts area

I know a good installer is key an would love recommendations or for specific questions to ask to help me vet them.

Since my initial  post didn't get much traction, I wanted to add a bit more that may end up being a violation of the price rules but I'm trying really hard not to do so.

I got my 1st estimate back from a mitsubishi diamond installer . I was very surprised to see the number come back at about 4+ times the combined cost of the indoor and outdoor units together when I search the model numbers.

I know that there are additional costs like the line set/covers, electrical, etc....but for what the guy described as a textbook one to one install,  that just seems like a high markup or labor cost..?

He did note that had I had this done two years ago,  it would have been about 30% lower. 

Any of that sound typical? 

Thanks!
New owner of a 1920s home with steam heat north of Boston.
Just trying to learn what I can do myself and what I just shouldn't touch

Comments

• Zipper13
    Options
    I made some edits above and included some more specifics to maybe drive more interest...
  • yesimon
    yesimon Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Yes this is normal. If you have intermediate DIY skills and you're just looking to add a single zone system on an exterior wall, look into installing a MrCool DIY unit. The 4th gen units have excellent specs and there are numerous videos online about how to install.
  • Zipper13
    Options
    @yesimon thanks for the input. Recently stayed at a place in San Diego with a mr cool and it was definately  comfortable. I've heard they are not great about warantee issues if not installed by a pro, though.  Which defeats the whole DIY thing

It's just bananas to me that a pro instal Mitsubishi  is 7x what a 12kbtu Mr Cool DIY would cost. (I figured 2x-3x) Though I suppose the MrCool still needs me to call an electrician...but stilll!
  • Zipper13
    Options
    Had to share this update:

Just had the 2nd quote from another well rated diamond installer. 

Appears to be the same specs and equipment,but...
    HALF THE COST!

Honestly never dreamed that numbers could vary that broadly! Great example of the need to shop around!
    GGross