Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Warm Board is making me an offer I can't refuse?

Options
HydroNiCK
HydroNiCK Member Posts: 182
I'm looking to get about 300sqft of warm board. Im looking at their website and wondering if it's just me or do they come off as really intense to the point that it's deterring me from ordering. I can't buy from anywhere else other than them.  I have to send them plans. They imply the homeowner needs an architect and once they get one Warmboard wants to stop by their office.  They want your builders bid and info.. It's like  They keep telling me how things are going to be. and they're going to be my new partner and I'm going to like it. And they are letting me know what's best and how things are going to go down.  It's wierd. I felt like I was just extorted by reading their website.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,844
    edited August 2022
    Options

I felt the same way when looking at their website. For just a small one room job, this seems like it would be easier to grab a router and do it myself!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    HydroNiCK
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    The alternate is to use Climate Panels or QuickTrak if you're only covering 300SF.
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 856
    Options
    We used Warmboard on a few high end jobs many years ago. They were a little easier to deal with then, but certainly wanted to be a little more involved than I preferred. Their product was certainly well made back then and performed as promised. We have not used them in years due to cost, delivery issues, and their need to be overly involved.
    HydroNiCK
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    Options
    It is just plywood with some aluminum glued to it and a channel cut into it isn't it? Lol
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,844
    Options
    JakeCK said:

It is just plywood with some aluminum glued to it and a channel cut into it isn't it? Lol

Yo, Fredo! Take @JakeCK out back and teach him a lesson.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    GGross
  • HydroNiCK
    Options
    They found The last guy that said that buried under a radiant slab in Brooklyn

JakeCK said:

EdTheHeaterManGGrossPC7060
  • HydroNiCK
    Options
    Is that a horse head in your picture 😳
    EdTheHeaterManGGrossPC7060
  • JakeCK
    Options
    O.o
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Warmboard is the most expensive option out there. It's most likely going to cost more than the finish floor above it. It was twice the price as the next brand. And the last one I priced during the first year of Covid, had a 3-4 month "you'll get it when you get it" lead time. So I went with someone else.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

EdTheHeaterMan
  • JakeCK
    Options
    Do they offer anything special over the competition?
  • HydroNiCK
    Options
    The alternate is to use Climate Panels or QuickTrak if you're only covering 300SF.
    Have any of you tried Ecowarm...how is it?
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,005
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Have any of you tried Ecowarm...how is it? 
    We used it on a job in Berkeley and I’d use it again. Nowhere near as thick of an aluminum layer, but it gets the job done and a lot less $$. 

You probably have to use higher water temperatures than with WB, but you'll still be in condensing mode.

Comes from Oregon and they usually have plenty in stock. 

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    Options
    First used Warmboard back in the early 00's when it was a new product .. it's gone into a few of my personal projects since. In each case the builder I was working with had never used it so the help from Warmboard was appreciated. The local rep stops over on each project to give a look and advice. Back in the early days they gave you the panel count and layout showing where you had to field route etc. Over time they have added to what they can do for you and what they can supply .... initially they just sold the panels, now they not only sell the pex and manifolds they have an integrated boiler that arrives all set up w/ controls -- plug and play. My last project used about 30k of the the panels and the HVAC guys on the project had used it once years ago. I just needed the panel layout -- there are various ways to set it up and you need the help ...... they don't charge much for that service. You get the set of planes and manifold locations .... each pex loop length. I had them send me the pex-al-pex and the install kit as well. We used Cross manifolds. They have a supply of the product on the east coast in PA so shipping was easy. Found them nice to work with and it's a great product - does it ever make for a solid floor. I like wide plank floors and I know the Warmboard will work .... some of the runs on my last project are 14" wide
    HydroNiCK