Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bulging Superstor

Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,976
edited August 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
We installed this system in 1997 and the owners have noticed the bottom of the indirect poofing out. I've seen jackets split a lot and can't imagine in any way that the inner stainless steel tank is at fault. Has anyone had experience with this?

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Looks like some water stains also?  Splits were common, the bulge is old age🥴
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    25 years is pretty good. Maybe send a pic to Superstore.

Suppose you could cut a section of the jacket and take a look. The only thing I can think of is heat bulging the jacket. But your at the bottom where the tank would be cooler.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    It is probably fine, just age insulation deterioration. If it was really leaking it would, I think, be a mess.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    Hi, It looks like the aquastat port has been leaking. It’s possible that water pooled at the bottom and caused the foam to expand, creating the bulge in the jacket. Maybe cut it open and have a look, then use some plastic sheeting to fix the jacket? B)

Yours, Larry
    kcoppSTEVEusaPA
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Maybe the seismic support is slipping one way but not the other as it expands and contracts and is pushing on the jacket?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    edited August 2022
    Like you said, I've seen a lot of split jackets, but never a bulge like that. I wonder if the tank straps effected how the jacket could expand and contract.
    I do like the ground clamp on the relief valve discharge pipe. 
    Sorry @mattmia2, looks like you said the same thing but with a fancy word. 
    mattmia2
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    I have seen bottoms bulge out on an Electric water heater. Gave the tank the Pisa look to it... Also have seen hot and cold piping pop inward. What's the water pressure? Backflow preventer or PRV on the water main? Potable water expansion tank missing or water logged?
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Does this tank need a vacuum breaker and not have one, is the tank getting crushed with a partial vacuum inside under some condition?
  • I'm away from the site, but I don't think there's an x-tank on the domestic side because there's no pressure reducing valve or check valve on the incoming water supply. Also, no vacuum breaker.

I think it's like the furniture disease that us old timers get where our chest sinks into our drawers.

Thanks for everyone's comments!
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    kcopp