Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ball valve issue

Options
RayH
RayH Member Posts: 98
I installed a HWH yesterday with a new ball valve and the valve doesn't seem to work? The handle turns freely and I check it before installing it. Never happened before? Won't shut off the cold supply?

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    It seems that the stop on the handle or the stop on the valve is broken "?" or the valve stem is broken?

Have you looked for this on your new valve?
    rick in AlaskaWilliamsonJace
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    Is the shaft turning with the handle? Is the nut tight? Usually the flats on the shaft are parallel to the hole in the ball. It is possible that the stem became detached from the ball but that is rather uncommon.
  • don123
    don123 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Is This a single family home? what kind of ball valve? Maybe over heated if it was soldered. The leadfree valves are sometimes are hard to solder to much heat and it melts the insides.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Options
    Hi, Might I suggest that if you replace the valve, use male adapters on the copper so you can thread the valve into place. That can make service down the line easier and prevents the possibility of damaging the valve with too much heat.

Yours, Larry
    mattmia2
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    I had an on demand water heater service valve that the ball broke off the stem inside the valve and you could not tell until you pulled it apart and looked at it. The handle and shaft rotated fine, but it did not turn the ball. That was a tough one to find because it was so unexpected to see.
    Rick