Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is there an insert/seal missing in this brass circulator?

Options
JackW
JackW Member Posts: 236
I bought a new, open box brass circulator off of eBay. My only concern is whether there should be a seal or insert in the grooved-out portion of the pump housing? My two older circs have an aluminum or ss insert in the same spot. Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

Jack

Alan (California Radiant) Forbes

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    look at the impeller wheel on the motor does it match up to the hole? I think that it is okay as shown
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    JackW
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Yes, there should be a gasket between the motor and volute where they join. It usually sticks to the motor. Check for a very thin black gasket. 
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • JackW
    Options
    @hot_rod, this impeller is different from the older circs, although it looks like the pump housing has stayed the same, so I'm wondering if they didn't need the inserts. Thanks.
  • JackW
    edited May 2022
    Options
    @Alan (California Radiant) Forbes I didn't see anything when I took the circ apart, but I'll check. As I noted to hot-rod, the stators plastic impeller is different than the older ones. There is a gasket between the stator and pump housing, but that's not what I'm asking about; I'm asking about the machined recess in the middle of the housing. Thanks for your input.

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,006
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Looks normal. No gasket necessary as you want water to flow through that opening. If there's leakage from one chamber to another, it's no big deal.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    JackW
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I think he is referring to the wear ring you see in the volute hole in some circs. I see them mainly in high head circs where the hole in the eye of the impeller is smaller and needs to match the hole in the volute, generally a closed type impeller

That being an open impeller the water can get to the canes across that large volute hole

I think😗
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    JackW
  • JackW
    edited May 2022
    Options
    @hot_rod, ahh, good to know. I emailed the seller, and he said it came that way in the box from the company. So I trust him, and thanks for your input. I've replaced the three cast-iron circs with brass ones, plus replaced all the ferrous parts with non-ferrous parts, I have everything soldered up, with a few changes required, so I should be good to go. Appreciate all your help.

Thanks,
  • JackW
    Options
    @Alan (California Radiant) Forbes, hot_rod said the same thing, plus I checked with the seller, and he said it came that way from the company. Thanks for your help.