Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viega Manifold Actuator Wires

Options
I was trying to fit two actuator wires into one terminal of a Taco zone valve control and noticed that the end switch wires fit easily, but it was a struggle to get two of the 24 volt wires to go in until I noticed they were a different gauge. Surely, the smaller gauge would be adequate for both?
The red wires are end switch.
Max Inrush Current: 300 mA for 2 minutes maximum
Operating Power: 1W
Micro Switch: 24VAC/0.5A

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,385
    Options
    This is maybe a long shot, but maybe they engineered it that way to discourage the way you were trying to hook it up. I've seen two different gauge wires under a screw head without an pressure equalizing plate causing an intermittent connection to the smaller diameter wire. Do you have a picture of what you were trying to do?
    National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Are the ends of the wires crimped? If you strip it back it little and get the stranded wire. Twist it and slide them in. 

• pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 975
    Options
    that's how the get you to install there brand across the board. bet it fits easily into there control
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Maybe cut the crimp ferrules off the ends, they make the wire a bit larger.

Plenty of room under the Caleffi connections, high and low voltage terminals😉

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    I like the crimp ferrules because stranded wire gets frizzy and hard to handle when you miss the opening; easy for this far-sighted plumber. It can also splay and short out on a neighboring wire. I ended up ganging the wires with a wire nut and running a single wire to the control.

@109A_5 Sorry, I didn't take a picture.

I was just curious why the manufacturer would go to such trouble; if there's a reason. Perhaps an electrical code requirement?

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I've been told that ferrules or soldered ends are code, on stranded wire, in European markets? I bought a ferrule kit at one of the Euro trade shows, it is a handy tool to own for the reasons you mentioned.
    The lower right ferrules accept two wires for a single connection.

www.ferrulesdirect.com has kits and tools.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    I always thought you were a feral kind of guy. 

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    Stranded wire under a pressure plate if it is small wire like 16, 18, 14 etc I will strip it long and fold it back over itself to get a little more "meat"