Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Daikin mini split choice

Options
Does anyone have any opinion or experience with Daikin series 19 vs Aurora model?
Going in a sunroom. The Aurora is low ambient. Not sure if it is worth the extra money/
Slant Fin Galaxy GG100(1986) , 2 zone hot water baseboard, T87 Honeywell thermostats. 

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,867
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Low Ambient? or Hyper heat. Where are you located? The low temperature heat pumps are for cold climate operation. They will develop heat at lower outside temperature. If you live in Baltimore, Maryland or Washington DC then you don't need it. If you live in Ontario Canada or Anchorage Alaska, then you should spend the extra.

If however, you you are operating in cooling mode at low ambient temperature (as the wording of your query suggests) then I believe there are sensors on both models that allow for low ambient operation.

Does this make sense? If you are confused then PM me for a detailed explanation.

Mr.Ed

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• gyrfalcon
    gyrfalcon Member Posts: 162
    Options
    I may have been misusing the terminology. What I meant to say is Hyper heat. The 19series will heat until about 5 deg. at a reduced output. and the Aurora will do 100% output at 5 deg. and then lose ouput but still operate until - 13 deg. I live in Indiana. It will be used for cooling / dehumidification in summer and heat in winter.

Slant Fin Galaxy GG100(1986) , 2 zone hot water baseboard, T87 Honeywell thermostats. 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited May 2022
    Options
    OK, Northern Ind. or Southern Ind. How do the lakes affect your climate? I guess I'm asking "what is the lowest outdoor temperature you might expect to experience where you MUST have the desired temperature for the sun room?" If you can forget that room for a few really cold days then use the less expensive model. If you are going to operate an "at home business" in there and you will loose income if you need to take a few days off, then spring for the more expensive.

There will only be a few days of very cold outdoor weather where the system is undersized. But to start with... Be sure to get an accurate heat loss calculation for a room with so much glass. (Assuming glass because you called it a sun room).

I thought you meant Hyper-Heat. I think that Hyper-Heat might be a name for another brand. I'm not sure what Daikin calls it.

I hope this helps
    Mr.Ed

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• gyrfalcon
    Options
    I am in south central Indiana. Hour south of Indy.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    Indy Airport design temperature is 2°F above zero for load calc. I would pick the Hyper heat for my home if I were you. You guys are colder then Atlantic City Airport with a design temp of +14°F. I always used zero °F for my load calc, because I would find the the replacement system was 1/2 the size of the one I was removing. And I experienced a number of zero degree overnights in my 30 Years living there. But others on this forum may tell you I'm wrong for doing it that way. I should use the 14°F, but the customers were saving money on the utility cost. If the operating cost was lower than the old system and that was one of the reasons for then equipment choice then it is a win win.

Edward Young Retired

• gyrfalcon
    Options
    As an update, we decided to go with a hyper heat version, but not Daikin.  We chose the Mitsubishi instead. Contractor has been great to deal with.  It’s up and running just fine. 
    EdTheHeaterMan