Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Burner Combustion and Smoke Test Equipment

Options
2»

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Sorry, but if you think excess air and CO aren’t important numbers then you don’t really understand their importance nor do you really understand combustion.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    edited May 2022
    Options
    MaxMercy said:

On a serious note, the liquid is toxic and is supposed to be discarded when you change the fluid as such.

It's potassium hydroxide - drain cleaner, and should be handled carefully like any caustic liquid. You can literally pour it down the sink when it's exhausted.

You can make the Bacharach fluid yourself by using Pequa drain cleaner (Home Depot) and add a drop or so of phenolphthalein for the red color. The drain cleaner is easy to source but the phenolphthalein is tougher to come by although it's not a restricted chemical. My brother is a research chemist and he got me a small vial when I needed it.

My how times have changed. Phenolphthalein came in my kiddie chemistry set. Readily available and didn't need a parent to purchase. I always wanted to get my hands on potassium nitrate. Add two common other chemicals and you have gunpowder.

All I ever hear the service techs say is that their combustion testing equipment is broken and the company is cheap and won't buy another.
    That is why I bought my own and learned how to use it.