Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: Uncle Tony

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 638
edited April 2022 in THE MAIN WALL

Uncle Tony

In this episode, Dan Holohan shares some funny stories about his Uncle Tony and this wonderfully wacky business.

Listen and subscribe here.

Thank you to SupplyHouse.com for supporting this podcast.

Comments

• GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,063
    Options
    Happy to report the ball busting continues on in my supply house, however the sales reps stopped bringing donuts long ago. I guess Uncle Tony lost that war, may he rest in peace.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,539
    Options
    They probably stopped when Tony left the building. Glad to hear the ball busting goes on!
    Retired and loving it.
  • kevink1955
    kevink1955 Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Supply houses sure have changed, parts counters are now attached to showroom where they sell gold faucets

I remember my first days in HVAC going to Traco in Copiague. Manager Bill and his wife Mary were the greatest people I ever met. Later on, after Bill passed away his son Guy became manager.

Under Guy's manager-ship a large jar appeared on the counter with some sort of pickled animal testicles in it. The place became a interesting place to kill a few hours and get absolutely nothing done. Sometimes got me frustrated as I just need to grab parts and go but it is a place from my past I will never forget. They could also tell you how to get to Abco if you asked Lol

Never see anything like it in Ferguson Lol

jamplumb
  • cubbydog
    cubbydog Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Was uncle Tony an ex cop?
  • ArnoldKleinman
    ArnoldKleinman Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I worked at AMAF Flushing and Huntington in the 70's. It was exactly as you wrote. There were guys that almost spent the whole day there. But what an education. I learned a lot about controls and people. It has helped me be a better tech. and to know how to deal with customers (hardest part of the job). As I get close to 50 years in the business and get ready to retire, I won't forget the time I spent behind and in front of the counter.
  • cubbydog
    cubbydog Member Posts: 42
    Options
    The donuts and the badge!
    heathead
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,539
    Options
    Tony wasn’t a cop. He was a sailor. 

Oh, and AMAF Flushing!
    Retired and loving it.